Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic centro power outage

Still out but evidently another 1-2  hours. Evidently a Coke truck took out 4 lines on Ocampo yesterday. Large area out including street lights. Did call CFE. Gotta love them. Friend pounded on door this a.m.and took phones home to charge

CFE challenges especially in Ajiijc centro appear to be getting worse each year due to increased loads / demand on the aging grid which seems to be really struggling.     Clients are reporting a lot of low voltage situations, outages, and spikes.       Demand is increasing for backup systems (whole house or portable / plug-in type AKA "solar generator") and also for whole house stabilization / regulation, especially with the rainy season ahead.      The good news......all of this is available and has improved greatly in cost and capability.      One local customer had a CFE issue for 5 or 6 weeks, and their whole home ran fully "offgrid" the whole time on their new solar grid-tied hybrid backup system we installed with a lithium-ion powerwall battery of 10 kWh capacity.     Was a great "test" of the capacity and automation of the system......even if it was unplanned.     

• Like 3

I live in upper Ajijic where we seem to have fewer electrical outages than in Ajijic central. When it does go out, my solar backup system is a Godsend.

All I can say, is go solar. Get yourself a solar panel system and if it makes sense, a power backup system, with solar the primary source when the sun is out but perhaps a battery backup electrical source, if that is practical for outages when there is little or no sun available.

3 hours ago, johanson said:

I live in upper Ajijic where we seem to have fewer electrical outages than in Ajijic central. When it does go out, my solar backup system is a Godsend.

All I can say, is go solar. Get yourself a solar panel system and if it makes sense, a power backup system, with solar the primary source when the sun is out but perhaps a battery backup electrical source, if that is practical for outages when there is little or no sun available.

Pete a solar system will not work if the grid is down unless it has a properly installed battery backup to disconnect the system from the grid in the event of power loss. 

The invertor stops producing when it senses no power from the grid. If it still sent power to the grid a lineman could be electrocuted while working on a presumed dead power line.

Sorry. All I know is that when the CFE power goes out, I have a backup system that gets its power from my batteries and if the sun is out I assume also my solar panels. And you are correct extra power can not be sent into the dead CFE wiring in front of my house. Doing so could be very dangerous

36 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Pete a solar system will not work if the grid is down unless it has a properly installed battery backup to disconnect the system from the grid in the event of power loss. 

The invertor stops producing when it senses no power from the grid. If it still sent power to the grid a lineman could be electrocuted while working on a presumed dead power line.

This is correct for a "standard" grid-tied inverter based system, while backup power systems or full hybrid systems are set up to only feed to the loads of the house, and / or not to export to the grid during an outage.     There's a few different ways to do this depending on the equipment used, and which things are defined as the loads to be backed up, typically called "the essential loads".....this can be the whole house, or any portion of it. 

6 hours ago, Ellie said:

Still out but evidently another 1-2  hours. Evidently a Coke truck took out 4 lines on Ocampo yesterday. Large area out including street lights. Did call CFE. Gotta love them. Friend pounded on door this a.m.and took phones home to charge

Any updates & good news to report on the power?