Chapala.com Webboard

Update on New Car Batteries

My Honda FIT battery was 5 yrs old today and decided to change it out.  I compared LTH, Autozone and Orma. 

Ended up buying it at Orma since they had a better warranty for the price.   Was about 260p more than LTH but a better warranty ( 4 yrs vs LTH's 3 yrs.).

I asked the guy at Orma, while he was putting the new battery in, if Orma was better or worse than LTH.  He said that LTH is a bit better battery but Orma has a better warranty plan.     

2 minutes ago, hilobarbie said:

Do you know if LTH can test a car battery to determine life remaining?  My battery is 6 years old.

"Life remaining" is subjective. They can check for bad cell(s) and/or stress test it. Also check your charging system's performance. 

But in my opinion a 6-year old battery is pushing it even in the mild Lakeside climate. "Most battery warranties are for no more than 3 years.... sometimes as much as 5. That should give you some indication of what they may think of a 6-year old one. Also most folks don't 'watch or maintain' their batteries if they are unsealed, leading to failure due to low water levels causing a cell(s) to go bad.

• Like 3

Good for you mexijims1.... I think that you are in the minority. 

A good number of the 'economical' lead-acid batteries in the US are still maintainable... need to check/add distilled water occasionally. But like you say most are going to sealed. All AGM ones are sealed of course.  It's not your father's battery anymore. 

And that is why I like Escalera. When the battery died in my old car, I called and they came to my house and gave me a boost to get me to their shop. They bought and installed a new battery and gave me the warranty on the battery. Love that mechanic shop!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I read where climate can affect the life of a battery. When I was in the Lakeside area my batteries seem to last a long time. Here in San Carlos where it can be very hot  not so long. About a month ago my battery died. Took it to Auto Zone where they changed it. The price for a new. battery was over 3000 pesos (gasp) they really have increased in price. Sense I bought mine a year and a half before I got an adjustment cost me 1500 pesos. 

3 hours ago, vetteforron said:

Areas where I lived before There was some dust. I now live in the Country Club. I have a carport but less dust. Just curious why did you move?

Too humid for us. We wanted more green in our lives.  Electricity too expensive as air conditioning was needed about 8 months a year.  Real estate was selling quickly and we had the opportunity to make some money on our home that we built.  After years,  ready for a change.

• Like 2

Just came back from LTH.  The automatically electronically check your battery and print out a report.  Since mine was almost 6 years old I really didn’t need much confirmation that I needed a new one.  Less than 10 minutes for the entire visit with a new battery.  I had used them several years back for a different vehicle.  Their service was great.

• Thanks 1