Chapala.com Webboard

Airport immigration form

kmetzger

For years I've been filling out the same form at the Guadalajara airport immigration office when traveling to the US. I have never had a problem when reentering Mexico. It asks for the usual info: name, passport number, home address etc. but also your destination in Mexico. And it says the form must be completed by all individuals entering Mexico. 

Have I been filling out the wrong form all these years?

8 hours ago, jguerin said:

Do we still have to fill out that form?  and stop by immigration?  

Good question. As a Tourist, no, not anymore as the FMM form is not used. But I don't know the requirements for a Permanente flying in and out. 

• 1 month later...

OK, new format anyway since last August. In August, when we presented Immigration with our stub upon our return, they actually threw it out after stamping our passport. 

On Sunday, my wife left for the States.  We went to the immigration desk with the old form filled out.  After looking at the form, the passport and permanente visa, he kept the form.  He said no more forms need to be shown to the airlines.

Always something changing in Mexico.  Keeps you on your toes, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

We left PV for Canuckistan on April 22 and met the immigration lady in her little INM cubicle... she said we did not require to report to INM on departure, just go to the airline check-in, they will take care of it. At the airline, they stapled the small INM stub to the boarding pass and across the stub was written "MT" in black marker highlighted with yellow marker. Strange... so we went back to the nice INM lady and showed her this 'process'. She shrugged her shoulders and said "That is fine, just board your plane".

At the boarding counter, when showing our ID and boarding pass, that person removed our "MT" stubs and let us board. No one stamped our passports. We are Temporal.

What "small INM stub"?   Last time I flew into GDL as a Tourist in late January did not present an INM card to immigrations. They stamped my US VISA. Flying out the next month the airline looked for that stamp and said 'good to go'.

The form was perforated into 2 parts. Large part was taken at Aduana for entering the country & small (stub) was taken by the airline when exiting the country.

The method in place for years for residente was to fill out the form and get it stamped when leaving the country. The airline took the small part & then you had the large part to turn in to Aduana on your return. 

Under this administration there is a lack of leadership, and much confusion in many govt agencies. Aduana is not exempt form those problems so the old system of the migratory form might be used in some airports, and the new use of a dated passport stamp in others.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

After reading this I'm still a little confused.  Please bear with me.

My wife is flying out to the U.S. in two weeks.  Does she still go to the immigration window near arrivals or just straight to the airline check in?

Gracias!

Your wife needs to appear the the INM window with a passport, temporal/permanente card and a boarding pass.  My routine is to download the boarding pass onto my phone, stop at the INM window then to the airline desk to check my bag or I head straight to the gate if I’m carrying on.

Could you/someone confirm that this is the 'process' for Temporals or Permanentes (only).

I have flown out of GDL on two occasions 'recently' as a Tourist and did NOT have to go to the INM desk. Upon entry into Mexico by air my US Passport was stamped.... basically with my 180-day info... and when I left I, with only a carry-on, went directly from the taxi to the Volaris gate for my departure. No questions asked. 

4 hours ago, RickS said:

Could you/someone confirm that this is the 'process' for Temporals or Permanentes (only).

I have flown out of GDL on two occasions 'recently' as a Tourist and did NOT have to go to the INM desk. Upon entry into Mexico by air my US Passport was stamped.... basically with my 180-day info... and when I left I, with only a carry-on, went directly from the taxi to the Volaris gate for my departure. No questions asked. 

As a tourist, no.  You do not go to the INM window when departing.

• Thanks 1

I can tell you the routine when we (wife and I) flew from Guadalajara to Toronto with a 3 hr. stop in Dallas, on April 19th, 2023

I'm a "Tourist" and wife is a "Temporary Resident".

FIRST - arrival in Guadalajara - When we arrived at Guadalajara on Dec 29th 2022, we presented our passports at arrival Immigration.  I said I was a tourist and my wife presented her Temporary Resident Visa card.  Both passports were stamped, no paper issued. 

DEPARTING Guadalajara - As soon as we arrived at the airport at 3 AM, on April 19th., this year... 2023, she went to the INM window near the international arrival area.  The window WAS manned at that early time.  She showed her Temporary Resident visa and passport - NO boarding pass.  The attendant stamped her passport and sent her on her way.

We then went to the American Airlines booth to check in.  The AA person checked both her and my passport, plus our proof of Covid vaccinations since we were arriving in the USA, issued our boarding pass and sent us to the security check-in area.

That went without a hitch and we were on our way.

Hope this helps.....

• Thanks 1

Mainecoons, the onlly difference is what to expect from INM's end.

About 3 weeks ago, my wife went to the States ( she has a Permanente).  You STILL GO to the same INM window at the far right end, near arrivals.  Not sure if they stamped her passport BUT they KEPT the entire INM form that we regularly fill out and STILL present to them.   They said you no longer have to show anything other than your passport and permanente to the ticket agent.    

Actually, we went to the INM office PRIOR to getting our boarding pass, just as we have for the past 10 yrs.  After going to INM office, we proceeded to the Volaris self-check in kiosk and  got boarding pass.  Then, we had to proceed to ticket agent anyway to show passport and permanente, since she was flying to international ( US ) destination..