Chapala.com Webboard

Best deal on tires?

We have used Goodyear in Chapala, like you, for many years (16).  One reason we like them so much is if you wake up with a flat or really low pressure, they will come out (we live in Brisas de Chapala, like you) and get the tire and fix it if possible.  We tried to buy tires at that place on the Libramiento and they wanted to sell us 2 tires from one brand and 2 from another.  Tread completely different.  We just said - No.

19 minutes ago, ibarra said:

We tried to buy tires at that place on the Libramiento and they wanted to sell us 2 tires from one brand and 2 from another.  Tread completely different.  We just said - No.

It appears that others on the site have not had any problems with this place.  We will not go back there because of what happened to us. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

I've always purchased my tires from the store on the Libramiento next to the Hotel Perico  entrance. Never have gone through so many tires after moving here, these roads chew-up rubber. 

Locals will tell you that buying expensive tires here is a waste of money.  The cheaper tires last as long or, in some cases longer on these roads.

• Like 1

I always buy my tires on-line from Amazon Mexico or Mercado Libre.  Almost all vendors within Mexico ship free and you can find the exact tire you want due to the wide selection.  No problem taking them to a place such as Goodyear Chapala to get them mounted and balanced.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, chapalence said:

Locals will tell you that buying expensive tires here is a waste of money.  The cheaper tires last as long or, in some cases longer on these roads.

How are tires rated for wear?

The treadwear marking demonstrates how long a tire can last. Treadwear has a range between 100-1000, where, for example, an 800 UTQG tire will last twice as long as a 400 UTQG tire. Tire treadwear performance is evaluated on a specific roadway course approximately 400 miles in length, which is established by the NHTSA.

8 hours ago, ibarra said:

We have used Goodyear in Chapala

That place is called Fuentes Peña, and it's here:

https://goo.gl/maps/99tcSCEa3YQdjqwq5

They may have (or can get) Goodyear tires, but I think they mostly have a Goodyear sign. They're good guys, and I'd recommend them for a one-off tire repair or replacement. If I needed a new set, I'd go to Costco.

LQ

ive bought 2 sets of tires from BUHOS tires, on the left after the last curve going in to joco. so far ive been well satisfied and a good price and sometimes he will give some trade in on the takeoffs. check out his place. his shop is in containers below 3 containers on top where he lives. 

• Thanks 1