Chapala.com Webboard

Best antihistamine for scorpion bites?

first if at all possible get the insect and take it with you to a local clinic. The Drs. will know what is the best treatment as there are different types of scorpions. There are different specific medicines.

If at all possible do not take anything before going to the clinic as it could make it harder to treat you. 

If you must take something many people use Benadryl liquid

https://www.farmaciasguadalajara.com/antihistaminico-benadryl-jarabe-120ml-1020455

59 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

Any recommendations for best antihistamine to keep on hand for scorpion bites?

Mexico is one of few Countries that has developed anti venom for scorpions. The small brown or translucent scorpions have a pretty strong venom. They also like to live in groups. So if you see one chances are there will be others nearby. It might sound strange but the smaller the scorpion the stronger the venom. The red cross along with many reputable clinics will have anti venom.

I got a scorpion sting about 10 yrs ago.  I took a Benadryl and went to Cruz Roja.  Dr. Sam Thelin was working at the time and said the good news / bad news is that the Benadryl would mask any harmful aspects of the bite, so he told me to lay there for about an hour.  He came back after that period and checked my lips,eyes, and throat and said I was ok.

Probably might be safer to have some antidote on hand for pets, though ! 

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:54 AM, Mostlylost said:

first if at all possible get the insect and take it with you to a local clinic. The Drs. will know what is the best treatment as there are different types of scorpions. There are different specific medicines.

If at all possible do not take anything before going to the clinic as it could make it harder to treat you. 

If you must take something many people use Benadryl liquid

https://www.farmaciasguadalajara.com/antihistaminico-benadryl-jarabe-120ml-1020455

Thanks!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

This is what I keep in the fridge at all times. Had over 5 stings to date and it worked every time.

0687ede5a5cff5eb313efd54c1949f4e_ra,w403,h806_pa,w403,h806.png

Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

I got a scorpion sting about 10 yrs ago.  I took a Benadryl and went to Cruz Roja.  Dr. Sam Thelin was working at the time and said the good news / bad news is that the Benadryl would mask any harmful aspects of the bite, so he told me to lay there for about an hour.  He came back after that period and checked my lips,eyes, and throat and said I was ok.

Probably might be safer to have some antidote on hand for pets, though ! 

Benadryl seems to be the consensus.  Thanks!

• Like 1