Chapala.com Webboard

Car title

We discovered today that we have a car that is titled in only one of our names.  The original owner isn't in MX anymore so asking them to try and add a name isn't an option.  Does anyone know how we can add another name? Or, what happens if the person dies and the remaining spouse isn't on the title? How can the vehicle be sold in that situation?  

It's an enormous pain in the butt to change it but it is possible. If you want to make it easy to sell it for the remaining spouse, have the spouse in whose name it is, sign the back of the ownership papers AS IF it was going to be sold but leave out the date and the name of the "new" owner. THEN you're going to put that paper in a VERY safe place.

I can tell you that our car was in BOTH of our names with y/o in between and I was unable to put it in just my name and I tried TWICE. The dimwit in the office on Degollado kept insisting that my husband had to sign even though I showed her his death certificate. It was easier to sell it and just sign the back of the ownership paper and provide the new owner with a copy of his death certificate should she need it. She didn't. Go figure. I still shake my head over this. As always, please confirm this information for yourself by asking a facilitator or you can try for yourself. Maybe the dimwit has been replaced.

• Thanks 1

It used to be easier to put cars in both names.  When I bought my 2015 car it was no problem....  ask and you shall receive.When we bought an (out-of-state) from Rafa (late 2019) and it was taken to the  place where they do the inspections to grant Jalisco registration, they said it was against the law to do that now (Jan 2020).  Fortunately, a small gift from our facilitator to his buddy the inspector and an "exception" was made.

I'd opt for Ferret's solution..... have the "sale" sentence completed on back of the registration and date it if/when applicable.

21 hours ago, RickS said:

Because it is Mexico and because there are 'dimwits' at the offices, I would take this up with someone like S&S who handles titles on a daily basis. 

true, there are dimwits here, NOB, everywhere. But here, when a worker provides a completely illogical answer, I’ve learned thru experience that it can be a request for an “incentive” payment. I’m not a fan of incentive payments, but sometimes have no other option.

There is nearly always another option. If you give into incentive payments then you continue to perpetuate the behaviour. I could have asked Spencer's office to take care of it but it really was no biggee for me. I waited until I found a vehicle I wanted before selling it. Now, if I croak, it will be easy for my executor to sell it because they already have the ownership papers pre-signed by me and they are in another country in a safe deposit box. ;)

Update:

I went to S&S today and spoke with Karen.  She said we basically have two options.

1. Make appointment at place on Degollado now and have them add name to the title. Copies of stuff required etc.  That will result in us paying sales taxes but both names will be on refrendo. 

2. Do nothing until spouse is deceased and the other spouse has a buyer. No death certificate is required as the spouse has title.   At that time, you can either sign the title with deceased name, give it to new buyer and off they go. Or, what she recommended,  make appointment,  seller goes with buyer and prints name of deceased on title and signs their name.  Buyer will have to pay sales tax.

She said this happens all the time and it simply is a "process " to correct it. She strongly advised against signing the title in advance in anticipation of death.  

Yes, I recently was able to transfer title from a deceased person to my name.  I had the original factura so was not an issue.  I was told by the agent at the registration office just to forge the dead person's name.  I volunteered to show a certified copy of the death certificate and a bill of sale from the next of kin but they did not want to see it. No mordida requested.  Moral of the story, he who holds the original factura is the owner so make sure you keep it in a safe place and never lose it.

4 hours ago, Ezzie said:

Yes, I recently was able to transfer title from a deceased person to my name.  I had the original factura so was not an issue.  I was told by the agent at the registration office just to forge the dead person's name.  I volunteered to show a certified copy of the death certificate and a bill of sale from the next of kin but they did not want to see it. No mordida requested.  Moral of the story, he who holds the original factura is the owner so make sure you keep it in a safe place and never lose it.

Does that statement (bolded) not creep anybody else out? I am a widow and I live alone. After what happened to Mike Riley (ComputerGuy), this is the reason that I have organized things differently. I could not put my stepkids as direct beneficiaries on the deed to my house because they are not blood relatives and I have no siblings, relatives or children. I do have a Mexican Will and a Canadian Will. When Mike was found dead in his house, the Red Cross was called. The Red Cross called the police and the police took over Mike's house. Even though Mike died of a heart attack, his family were not permitted to enter the premises for over six months. 

Anything that is of value like my house deed, my car ownership, Mexican Will, Canadian Will etc. is in a safety deposit box in Canada. That is how I found all my mum's important documents etc. as the executor of her will. I want my stuff to go to the people that I have chosen... not some opportunistic thief.

Whatever works for you.

That is correct and I was told that by Notario #2. I also did my updated will with him. The only exception in the "blood relative" department is putting their spouse as beneficiary. We never did that but always had real estate in both our names... and we each had Mexican wills to cover assets in Mexico if we both died at the same time.

9 hours ago, RickS said:

"I could not put my stepkids as direct beneficiaries on the deed to my house because they are not blood relatives..."

Are you saying that, in Mexico, one cannot assign anyone they want as a beneficiary?

How is it that nonprofits and charities can be named as beneficiaries of estates here at Lakeside?

SunFan

12 hours ago, Ferret said:

That is correct and I was told that by Notario #2. I also did my updated will with him. The only exception in the "blood relative" department is putting their spouse as beneficiary. We never did that but always had real estate in both our names... and we each had Mexican wills to cover assets in Mexico if we both died at the same time.

I met with Notario #2 a couple weeks back regarding the possibility of us buying a property for use by a local orphanage school and they informed us the law has been changed and now you can put unrelated INDIVIDUALS on the deed at the time of purchase.  No indication as to whether or not an organization could be naned.

• Thanks 1