Chapala.com Webboard

Need Shaw DSR800 box for satellite system

cookj5

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

True, even an 800 series box will be a boat anchor here at some point in 2024.  If you get one, you will have to take it back to Canada to resell it.  Shaw Direct don't even sell them anymore, only rentals.  If you have an account in Canada and don't currently have any 800 series on your account, they will give you the first one free.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, panchocuerdas said:

We only have some sports and very few Canadian channels as of today

Any alternative will be appreciated

I have been streaming https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/latam-channel-guide which is from Canada. If you open the link without a vpn, everything is in Spanish. If you use a vpn and set it in the U.S. or Canada, all the content is in English. FREE. I like free. It has bridged the gap for me during the entertainment strikes and there is a LOT of content. Usually, I watch the DIY channels but, on Friday night, I watched the movie "Enemy at the Gates". Powerful. There are two ways to watch... either LIVE TV which is appropriate for nearly everything but especially news feeds and also ON DEMAND so you're not dependent on a timetable. Whatever works for you.

• Like 1

Here's a solution for satellite alternatives.  Buy a streaming device, if you're on a budget I would suggest the ONN TV box on Amazon Mexico.  It's about $650 pesos. If you're not on a budget and want to watch 3 or 4 screens at the same time - get the Nvidia Shield Pro. Around $4,300 pesos.  Stay away from Firesticks and Fire Cube, Amazon is going to stop supporting Android in 2024.  Setup your device (easy, just need a Google account).  Get a solid IPTV player from the Google PlayStore.  The best free version I've used is XCIPTV player. For about a $30 US lifetime subscription, TiviMate is a great option.  Also another great app is Sparkle IPTV player, and it's about $15 for a lifetime, if I remember correctly.  Then DM me and I'll send you a link to purchase a high quality service.  I'm not a seller or reseller, I just use the service and find it very reliable.  It's $10 US a month on a three month plan. They will send you a server address, a username and password.  Setup takes about 5 minutes.  The whole process is much easier than people think and your yearly costs are a fraction of satellite services.

• Like 1

.... "Amazon is going to stop supporting Android in 2024"

While this has been rumored for quite a while, I'm not sure it will happen then and even if it does it will not cause my Fire TV Stick to quit working immediately, right? 

Having said that, does the service you talked about liking work on the latest Fire TV Stick 4K? 

Gracias

48 minutes ago, RickS said:

While this has been rumored for quite a while, I'm not sure it will happen then and even if it does it will not cause my Fire TV Stick to quit working immediately, right? 

Having said that, does the service you talked about liking work on the latest Fire TV Stick 4K? 

Gracias

Amazon is reportedly developing its own operating system, internally known as Vega, to replace Android on its smart displays, TVs, and other smart home products.

Vega is based on Linux and uses React Native, which would allow developers to create apps that run on both Amazon's new and old devices.

Amazon could start shipping Fire TV devices with Vega as early as next year, and it could eventually replace Android on all of its products.

14 hours ago, RickS said:

Gracias

Yes it will work fine on a Firestick 4K depending on your internet speed.  You should have at least 25Mbs down and a ping under 75-80 ms.  You can use this app on the FS to get these numbers.  It's called Analiti.

Screenshot (211).png

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RickS said:

Not trying to tank someone's sale but.... why would I buy a 3500 pesos 800 receiver that will be useless in Mexico sometime in 2024?  Am I missing something?

I deleted my post as I just realized that the request was from back in Feb. If they don't have something by now too bad, so sad.
We got rid of our shaw service about 7 yrs ago, couldn't justify the cost for watching TV for a couple hours (maybe) each day.
Some people just can't live without their sports or soaps or news.

On 2/22/2023 at 7:10 PM, cookj5 said:

My old DSR600 Shaw satellite receiver will soon be inoperable. I need to replace it with a DSR800 receiver. Does anyone have one, new or used that you would be willing to sell? You can reach me with price and contact info at jcmx07@hotmail.com  Thanks!

See Roberto satilite guy east sunrise restaurant he has one in stock just got it in. 3310635633.