Chapala.com Webboard

Junk mail

artsnob

2 hours ago, artsnob said:

Is there an app that you can use to get rid of junk mail from email, with out changing it..

If you use Outlook you can move junk mail from your In-box to Junk Mail. In Junk Mail you can then report it as phishing, it will then appear in your Delete section where you can then select Block Sender. Personally, I am of the opinion that nothing is ever done to ensure that you never receive email from the same source again. Besides, you can receive the exact same Junk message from numerous email addresses. I am always being informed that someone tried to get into or did get into my FB account. I do not have one. I run my cursor over the sender's address and every time it will just state Face Book, no FB address or sender's name. Total scam.

I presume that Ken is talking about junk mail/spam inside his email account.... whatever that is. Ad Block won't address/stop those.  I have Ad Block but my Trash folder within gmail has literally 100s of spam emails weekly filtered out by gmail automatically. I never see them.... only when I go to my Trash folder to empty it ever so often.

My gmail has two folders.... trash (where  stuff I delete goes) AND spam..... which can be anything gmail decides is iffy, and once in a while includes something that doesn't need to be there.  I THINK it may be something you can alter in "settings"....... my filters are pretty high, plus I use "private browsing" on desktop.  We all know I have no idea what I'm talking about..... but I do know nothing slips past into my normal mail that doesn't belong there.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

I never see them...

Right. Just use Gmail.

Most email is spam. Take it from someone who no longer administers mail servers, your only hope is to use an email provider that handles billions of messages per day, so knows all the tricks. That's Gmail. There's no equivalent solution.

If fact, you can forward mails sent to a non-Gmail account through Gmail, and get the spam filtering benefit. You can further configure this to reply to the sender "From:" the address they sent to originally. The sender won't even know, and doesn't need to know.

Take a look in Gmail -> Settings -> Accounts and Import.

Here are the many accounts that forward to my Gmail, since the Dark Ages:

out.thumb.png.e3ac2cdaae4ea6d4982b1701eb371eef.png

LQ

A few things that sometimes help in my experience. If the SPAM is advertising from a more or less legitimate company, scroll to the bottom of the email and ask to be removed from the mailing list. Mark items that are clearly SPAM as "SPAM" so that you train your email program to spot them. Don't take opinion polls - they are simply trying to harvest your email account. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NEWMtnMama said:

If the SPAM is advertising from a more or less legitimate company, scroll to the bottom of the email and ask to be removed from the mailing list. Mark items that are clearly SPAM as "SPAM" so that you train your email program to spot them. Don't take opinion polls - they are simply trying to harvest your email account. 

Some good advice but..... be aware that some companies, even 'more or less legitimate' ones, send those cold emails out 'fishing'. When you 'unsubscribe' from them they immediately know that they have 'a hit'... that this is a good email address. Unsubscribing at that point is the last thing on their mind!  IMO just mark them as spam in your email program.

• Like 1