Chapala.com Webboard

Wallmart

Maryanna

I am sure there have been discussions about Walmart but I wanted to share my impression. I have gone to Walmart on and off since it opened. Usually for things that I need right away and I live close by, . Over the last couple of months, I feel it has really gone down hill. Baskets full of things people put in wrong places. They just sit there, looking terrible and sometimes blocking the aisle. I could see after the holiday but it is common now. I cannot believe that the new self checkout isn't leading to theft. All you have to do is walk out, no one is watching. I imagine that I could fill my bags and walk out. I won't go into the lines 30 people deep. Why...only 1 or 2 registers open.

The place is dirty as well. The last time I was there, a employee almost ran me over with a large container of items. A good employee would have let the customer pass. The packer filled up one of my bags, it wasn't just heavy, I could not lift it at all. In my other bag she placed one item, I always tell packers not too heavy, I had to rearrange everything, This is the first time I did not tip, She looked like she could care less that I had to do that.  Twice I picked up an item that didn't have a price tag, The cashier just tossed it and never tried to get a price.

I know Walmart isn't known for even decent wages, but this seems to be really deteriorating.

• Thanks 2

I have never been in a Walmart anywhere in the USA where service was any good...."NO CUSTOMER SERVICE" is their motto and they never stray from that. I believe that all managers are branded with "I don't know and I can't help you...."

I respond by buying only what I must have and can't find anywhere else.......I don't let that annoy me and since they don't care about me or my business....we are both somewhat content.

Fred Habacht

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, carmic said:

Stop complaining and move on. There are no decent Walmart stores in any country. I love that people think they will change the Walmart culture. Try calling the corporate manager and see how they respond. 😂

Seems to me the first sentence is a complete contradiction to the remaining Post but is a great example of "don't do as I do, do as I say do". 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, carmic said:

Stop complaining and move on. There are no decent Walmart stores in any country. I love that people think they will change the Walmart culture. Try calling the corporate manager and see how they respond. 😂

Another newbie coming here trying to impress us with his wisdom..

I was in WM yesterday. Aisles were blocked with crap to be stocked and no stocker in sight. There were two full-service check-outs and one was stuck with folks waiting (I couldn't tell the problem) while the one I was in had folks with baskets loaded. Meanwhile, the fancy self-checkouts, which I normally prefer to use, had zero use because...most folks are honest enough to admit they have more than 20 items. Good idea, incredibly stupid execution.

Everything the OP said, and more is true.

ETA:  I don't hate WM, but the one down here is a disgrace. When we have to go north for "X" reason, we will hit WM for the cheap supplies that you can't find here. If you ask a question, you're given a cheerful answer. No, it's not perfect, but it's no better or worse than any other place. Here, I have had the employees darn near run me over and not even look in my direction. When I politely say "con permiso" to get through their little gabfest because they're blocking something, I'm given filthy looks or a loud sigh that...shock! a customer actually wants to shop! Why do I go back when it's so bad? They have a few products that we just can't get elsewhere. I try to hit Soriana's as much as possible, or the local shops, but often WM is the only one to carry "X." 

• Like 3

Artsnob suggests Lopez Produce. I couldn't agree more. A wonderful family who began with a hole-in-the-wall location and grew it into two stores. Excellent selection, friendly staff and clean. You'll be doing yourself a favour/favor and you'll reduce your aggravation.

• Like 1

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/22/1158684971/home-depot-minimum-wage-15

"We believe this investment will position us favorably in the market, enabling us to attract and retain the level of talent needed to sustain the customer experience we strive to deliver."

Some companies get that paying a little more proves beneficial in the long run.

Walmart has learned that their customer is willing to endure more lack of checkouts, shopping carts that only make left turns if you can make the wheels turn, registers with no cambio, product that has been heat damaged or crushed before reaching the shelves.....and soon...they may test out lower lighting to save on their utility bills, raising their freezer temperatures, bakery products that use chopped cardboard mixed with real flour and the best idea....charge extra for "skip the line membership", and an extra charge if you don't have exact change.

Fred Habacht

They have their venders to stock their own products hence Walmart does not have to pay stockers, self check out less cashers, buy your own bags, have elderly pack your bags for tips only. All Walmarts and Sam's are painted with the same paint a savings I am sure. In Mexico lower wages.Employees have attitude when you go down an isle like you are bothering me.  Prices about the same. 

What a profit maker. 

My first job 16 years old bagging groceries for Publix Super Markets. Paid 1.60 dollars an hour. Taught customer is important. Smiles, etc. 

2 hours ago, Richmond said:

Carmic,

Nicely put and you beat me to the punch. Never assume that just because a person has made a few posts does not mean that they are new to the area. 

I read posts for almost 7 years before I joined this site.  We lived in MX for 16 years  before I actually signed up. Most definitely not newbies. 

• Like 1

The contrast between Walmart and Soriana is becoming more and more evident.   At Soriana, I can walk through the aisles without stepping over cartons and workers sitting  on the floor.   There is more than one checkout open.  Staff is not overly friendly, but not surly either.   Prices are comparable, and I can usually find what I would go to Walmart for.  We live in Riberas, so it's not much longer to drive there.  Vegetable section is about the same (lack of) quality as Walmart.    It's my go-to supermarket now with Pancho's or Fresh Market for veggies.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stuphel said:

The contrast between Walmart and Soriana is becoming more and more evident.

True dat.

I think there are folks from the States who've recently had a shiny new Walmart Supercenter go up in their town, and they like it, and it suits their needs, blah, blah. To a person like that, a grimy old Walmart "Classic" store is gonna look like crap. Everything's old and disorganized, and you can see by the flooring that the shelves and registers have been reconfigured many times. Nobody loves that store, employees included.

There are many times more shoddy Walmarts than shiny ones, and that's what almost everybody is familiar with. (I think there might be a shiny Walmart in Tlaquepaque or somewhere.)

Embrace the grimy Walmart for what it is! Everybody knows the proposition: of the things you'd buy (maybe 3% of their SKUs), they might just have the lowest price. No other advantage. Nothing wrong with the lowest price for something I'm buying anyway.

LQ

• Like 2

All this bashing of Wallmart.  People seem to forget their are a few things at Walmart they cannot get any where else and usually at low prices. Sure we have Pancho's, Super Lake and the Garage but look at what prices they charge.  You won't find any bargains.  I for one is happy Walmart is here and it is my handy bank when I need money from the states.  MoneyGram is a very cheap way of getting close to actual money exchange rates here.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 9:33 AM, vetteforron said:

My first job 16 years old bagging groceries for Publix Super Markets. Paid 1.60 dollars an hour. Taught customer is important. Smiles, etc. 

Same experience and wage as a 15 year old in Detroit in the mid 60's. Eight hours a week minus $5 per month union dues which amounted to 10% of gross wages and of course less social security and taxes. Rode a bus to work too for 25 cents. We had to wear white shirts and a tie and got to gather carts in the snow-covered parking lot when needed. 

Crappy jobs like that as a young person not only exposes one to associated responsibilities but also make you aware that perhaps there are better jobs available with more effort and education.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, John Shrall said:

Snip,....

Crappy jobs like that as a young person not only exposes one to associated responsibilities but also make you aware that perhaps there are better jobs available with more effort and education.

We are in Mexico. Those options are Not available to a lot of people.

• Like 3