Chapala.com Webboard

best firestick for here? (infinitum, US stick)

Aguafresca

What is the best firestick for use here in Chapala?  I want to bring back one from the States.  I am mostly interested in cinema (like Criterion Collection, or Turner Classic Movies) and various News stations (would love MSNBC).  Sports sometimes, but not the major thing. Not really looking for current films, which I prefer to see in the Cinema.  

I have infinitum here, and it usually works well.  I already have Amazon Prime, but that is really not enough. My setup is Android.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way, would I need to activate it in the States, or can I wait until I get back here? 

Thanks and Cheers, 

Aguafresca

The BEST streaming device is almost always the most expensive. Just using Amazon as an example, work your way from (https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=8521791011&ref_=nav_em_ods_smp_nav_cat_0_2_6_2) Fire TV Stick Lite 29.99 to All-new Fire TV Cube

$139.99
As you work your way up the dollar ladder, each device is better the the one just left behind.
Which one is beat?
Depends on your finances and your viewing needs.
I have the Cube, my son has the Lite. I watch a lot more than he does which he does only infrequently.

As to where to set up, Amazon registers it when  you buy it. After that, the apps you load or don't load are largely left up to you.

However, you will probably need a VPN which when activated can show you as in the US even tho you are in MX. I mostly use Surfshark, though I also have Nord and Strong.

Good luck!
  • Like 1

I would suggest getting it in the US and when you install it down here, you will also need a reliabe VPN to attach to it.  Then you can connect to a US location for your stations. Otherwise, you will end up with Mexico only programming and movie offerings.

I think Nord or Express VPN might be two good VPN options. 

• Like 1

I would purchase a Firestick 4K Max.  It’s available on Amazon Mexico for $1599 peso shipping included. I would also purchase a Firestick Ethernet adapter, it allows you to plug an Ethernet cable into your Firestick $350 peso…They maybe be cheaper in the US.  I don’t think it matters where you register it. Unless you use a VPN it will know exactly where you are. I use mine in Mexico, Canada and UK with no problems. 

My recommendation is generally for the Firestick 4K max; and if you have a 4K TV then experiment with the TV or Firestick upscaling high definition 720 or 1080p streams; my 4K Hisense TV does a better job upscaling than the Firestick.

However, if you have a large screen 4K TV then I would recommend the new Fire TV Cube with super resolution.

• Like 1

Don’t waste  your money on a Firestick cube unless you want to dim the lights or ask it questions..such as “Is it snowing outside”  most TVs will do a better job of upscaling than a cube.      Your Firestick will not upscale anything. If you have a 4K TV  and a 4K Firestick and the program you watching is 4K your picture will be 4K, if the program isn’t 4K then your picture won’t be 4K unless your TV upscales it..  The Firestick 4K and 4K Max both have voice control so can ask it to find a program and other TV  related things. but It won’t dim the lights for you…

• Like 1