Chapala.com Webboard

SIMAPA...you gotta love it

barrbower

Early last week the water coming in from the street was completely stopped.  It took several days for the aljibe to run dry before we noticed the stoppage.  No notice from SIMAPA about their plans to shut down the water supply.  They said originally it would be back Friday then Saturday then today which is a holiday.  I knew that wasn't happening.  We have been buying pipas of agua but with eight homes it runs out pretty quickly even using pool water whenever possible. 

They say they have been working on the well behind Mirasol...hope the volume and quality of the water improves as a result.  It would be very surprising if they were planning ahead and improving the infrastructure.  I just hope to be able to take a shower soon...people are starting to complain.

This seems to have affected much of Riberas del Pilar...even restaurants, stores, vets, and doctors.  Haven't talked to anybody yet who knew it was going to happen.  We would have really appreciated a little advance notice to better prepare.

Alan

Sorry to hear this.  We have friends over there a couple blocks away from you and they tell us they have ongoing water quality and quantity problems for a long time.  Have you all thought about going to the Presidente of Chapala and asking him to intervene?

It seems both the well has issues as well as a lot of the pipe underground.

You both certainly are welcome to shower at our house whenever  needed.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 4:05 PM, barrbower said:

Early last week the water coming in from the street was completely stopped.  It took several days for the aljibe to run dry before we noticed the stoppage.  No notice from SIMAPA about their plans to shut down the water supply.  They said originally it would be back Friday then Saturday then today which is a holiday.  I knew that wasn't happening.  We have been buying pipas of agua but with eight homes it runs out pretty quickly even using pool water whenever possible. 

They say they have been working on the well behind Mirasol...hope the volume and quality of the water improves as a result.  It would be very surprising if they were planning ahead and improving the infrastructure.  I just hope to be able to take a shower soon...people are starting to complain.

This seems to have affected much of Riberas del Pilar...even restaurants, stores, vets, and doctors.  Haven't talked to anybody yet who knew it was going to happen.  We would have really appreciated a little advance notice to better prepare.

Alan

You can call SIMAPA and they will sent a water truck to fill your aljibe if the outage is their fault

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We are back in business finally.  Simapa did send one truck and we paid for others.  I'm not seeing any increase in quantity or quality of the incoming water.  I think they need to start thinking ahead and create a new well in this neighborhood (and probably others) since there seems to be no constraints on new large developments in this area.  The current infrastructure is already overused in most of lakeside.  Simapa, CFE, Telmex, Jalisco, and the federal government need to take a look at real world issues that affect everybody and start planning for the future not just reacting in an emergency.  I know this is very un-Mexican thinking but to get ahead one must think ahead.

Alan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, barrbower said:

Simapa, CFE, Telmex, Jalisco, and the federal government need to take a look at real world issues that affect everybody and start planning for the future not just reacting in an emergency. 

This is a very tall order for a country that is not "built" that way from the ground up...

• Like 1

Buena suerte on that wish !!   Unfortunately, I don't see anything improving among the existing government mentality or consideration in sight at any level in Mexico.

On a local level, take a look how much money they wasted on the Auditorium in Ajijic.  That sure does not benefit the people who need help.  How many people will benefit from that-- a couple of hundred, and all Expats?    

It is a shame how the  government abuses the MXN people and it all starts at the top !   ObraDOPE !!

mexijims1, while I agree the money spent on the Auditorio has been poorly used, I must point out that locals use this space far more than Ex-Pats. As a local performer and audience member of local performances, we definitely needed upgrades to A.C., lighting, sound and general technological improvements for the performance space. Instead, we have a ridiculous amount of brick work, a narrow and claustrophobic arch entry, reflecting pools that will attract mosquitos and be the cause of many mishaps by attendees to events, a palapa that was not needed and limited access to load in/out sets/lighting, etc. 

The Auditorio (once up and running fully again) is the space for many events presented and attended by our wonderful Mexican hosts. I've enjoyed recitals, graduations, dance/music/chorale performances from all over Mexico.

Ex-Pats do rent the Auditorio for various events but it is definitely a small percentage of the total events held there.

Enjoy the wonderful artistic events, lakeside.  :)

Val

• Like 3

20 hours ago, barrbower said:

We are back in business finally.  Simapa did send one truck and we paid for others.  I'm not seeing any increase in quantity or quality of the incoming water.  I think they need to start thinking ahead and create a new well in this neighborhood (and probably others) since there seems to be no constraints on new large developments in this area.  The current infrastructure is already overused in most of lakeside.  Simapa, CFE, Telmex, Jalisco, and the federal government need to take a look at real world issues that affect everybody and start planning for the future not just reacting in an emergency.  I know this is very un-Mexican thinking but to get ahead one must think ahead.

Alan

Agree 100 percent but the first part of your last sentence explains why the last part of that sentence just isn't going to happen.  However the Jalisco governor seems to be trying and maybe we need to put together a delegation to go talk to him.

The runaway development lakeside is like an out of control freight train careening towards the end of the line.  You can add to the water woes the totally mismanaged traffic woes and the growing pollution from failing sewers and septic tanks into the lake.  Both the Chapala and Jocotepec local governments are hopelessly corrupt and incompetent.  It wouldn't surprise me if at some point the state and Feds will have to step in.

• Like 2

SIMAPA is controlled by the local government. The problem here is lack of funds. They have a budget.  The director changes with each new administration in Chapala. The new director is much better than the last one.  Unfortunately the city can not take funds from a different account to help SIMAPA's lack of funds.  And SIMIPA has a difficult time getting help from the federal system. (it is not a state function)

The excuse with bad government is always lack of funds.  This despite their billings rising far faster than inflation.  That goes for Chapala as well.  Can't speak for Jocotepec.

Every change in administration with these governments results in wholesale looting.  Put a stop to that and maybe there would be some money for the work they are supposed to be doing.

Longer term the reliance on wells coupled with the runaway development here is a prescription for disaster.