Chapala.com Webboard

Some very good news

NEWMtnMama

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

These are all good articles to understand the looming problems. IMO they will all be addressed and mostly resolved by "thinkers and doers". Outside of government!

Would not the "poorer"... people and nations.... just love to have old-but-still-productive solar panels for a 'dime on the dollar'!

We sure love ours.   Not knocking them, too often though the technically challenged view them as having no environmental and quite possibly climate impacts.  In my view they are being over applied into very poor climate situations which makes compensating for said costs much slower if at all.

I think if we were still living in sunny New Mexico we'd have them on our house by now and I would think they would do well in a place like Colorado, cold but with a lot of sun.

Supposedly there is a technology in development that greatly improves their cloudy weather performance.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 10:19 AM, Mainecoons said:

I think if we were still living in sunny New Mexico we'd have them on our house by now and I would think they would do well in a place like Colorado, cold but with a lot of sun.

Well, Colorado and basically the entire West.... excluding maybe the Pacific Northwest that is 'blessed' with dams and hydroelectric. And it is of course not just rooftop solar panels but large solar array fields engineered by or for electric producers, many of whom have a 2035 goal of being 85%(?) green. Of course that will include wind power. 

Wyoming, generally and historically a coal producing state, has seen the handwriting on the wall and has at least 2 very large array projects either in production or planned for this year. And as anyone who knows Wyoming knows that the wind blows there incessantly so there are many wind farms already and more coming.