Chapala.com Webboard

Another One Bit the Dust

artsnob

From just San Juan Cosala to Chapala there are literally hundreds of restaurants.  Hundreds.  Almost all can be categorized as "mom and pop" operations.

Many if not most have no economy of scale and at best indifferent food.  If at least a third of the restaurants closed, it probably would engender little notice.

It must be very easy to start a restaurant here as there is a constant turnover of openings and closings.

I've been to a lot of places in Mexico and never seen the density of eateries we have here.  Not even in places like PV.

• Like 2

A perfect example of a restaurant botching the job is what used to be Charlotte's just past the BP station on the libramiento.  When the new people bought it, it was a thriving business.  The service was great and the food even better.  Now I hardly see anyone in there when I go by.  I stopped once a couple of months after they reopened and the food was really sub par.  I've not been back.  If someone wants to open a new restaurant, just wait a bit and they will close so you can have their pretty good location.

Back in 2006 I bought a book that listed all the restaurants located in the Ajijic area. It included a rating for each one. Back then the best rated restaurant was located inside the hotel located on the plaza. I wish I kept this book because something tells that very few still exists. The only ones that comes to mind are Manix and the Tango. Today, I can still eat very well for 80 pesos, but its in an all Mexican neighborhood (and I hope it stays this way...).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, we have lost Malaga. Celebrated my Birthday there and had 2 other wonderful meals since November and very sorry to see them go. I realize parking was difficult/almost non-existent on Hidalgo and their entry was just a simple doorway but the ambiance, quality of food, presentation and wait staff were top notch on each of my 3 visits.

Wishing them luck in the future.

Val

Wow... Chuy's place was a landmark. I remember when he bought the place... I asked why he continued to call it "Davids" (after the previous owner) and he smiled and said 'everyone knows "Davids", no one knows me!  That changed. Always friendly.  Nice fellow. He will be missed. 

11 hours ago, RickS said:

Wow... Chuy's place was a landmark. I remember when he bought the place... I asked why he continued to call it "Davids" (after the previous owner) and he smiled and said 'everyone knows "Davids", no one knows me!  That changed. Always friendly.  Nice fellow. He will be missed. 

That reminds me of the original owner, David. Do you remember when he "branched out" and opened a restaurant on the dried up shore of the lake in El Chante? I think it was only open at night, horseback riding tours also and steak as the main draw. Horrendous mosquitos, flies and sub-par food. The rising lake level put an end to that venture and not long after he was gone.

5 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

That reminds me of the original owner, David. Do you remember....

Yes, I remember that and did go there... once. It was actually around El Bajio as I recall. And Yep, during the dry years of Lake Chapala. 

I could also.... but won't.... tell you a juicy story about David which includes a female. Nothing scandalous, just juicy. 

18 hours ago, RickS said:

Yes, I remember that and did go there... once. It was actually around El Bajio as I recall. And Yep, during the dry years of Lake Chapala. 

I could also.... but won't.... tell you a juicy story about David which includes a female. Nothing scandalous, just juicy. 

Yup, it was El Bajio and he sure was captivated by that female and that had a lot to do with why he left...but as you say, not telling that story here.

20 hours ago, ibarra said:

Actually,  I believe he came from England where he was a soccer star.

Yes from England, don't know about soccer star but he moved to Lakeside after living and having restaurants in Bucerias.

• Thanks 1