Chapala.com Webboard

Cell Phone USed for Taking Pix Only

Natasha

OK. Apparently hubby's laptop lacks as SD slot..... so camera is not an option ( yes?   no?)  That said, if one ONLY wants a cell phone for taking pix,

(1)  MUST you have an active phone number? IF yes, would be NO DATA, NO PLAN..... just sufficient minutes to retain same.

(2) How can one judge if a used phone has enough life left in it?  NOT buying a brand new one!!!                               

17 minutes ago, Ferret said:

usb sd card reader - Google Search

If your hubby's laptop has a USB port then all you need is the adapter... and I linked to the search. You can probably find one in Steren's and take the SD card that you want to read with you because they come in all different sizes. Suerte!

phoning you now

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

OK. Apparently hubby's laptop lacks as SD slot..... so camera is not an option ( yes?   no?)  That said, if one ONLY wants a cell phone for taking pix,

(1)  MUST you have an active phone number? IF yes, would be NO DATA, NO PLAN..... just sufficient minutes to retain same.

(2) How can one judge if a used phone has enough life left in it?  NOT buying a brand new one!!!                               

1) NO!  A cellphone without a plan is still a Smart device/computer..... capable of taking pictures. Won't have talk or text capabilities but that is not what you are looking for it appears. So no plan needed. Take a picture with it and then, using your wifi (Internet) connection,  send that picture to the laptop (with email) that is also connected to the  Internet. Voila!

2) A "relatively' new smartphone will probably be OK. Ask about battery life.... but for just taking pictures occasionally... or a lot for that matter....  it doesn't have to have a great battery. That is only needed when one wants to leave the house and talk and text and maybe do data all day long before being able to plug it in when you get home.

Generally speaking, an iPhone 6 'up' has a good enough camera. An Android phone like a relatively new.... since 2017 say.... Samsung  or similar has a good camera. A Google Pixel 4/4a or newer has a superb camera but I'm betting that brand is not real prevalent at Lakeside. 

• Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, RickS said:

1) NO!  is not what you are looking for it appears. So no plan needed. Take a picture with it and then, using your wifi (Internet) connection,  send that picture to the laptop (with email) that is also connected to the  Internet. Voila!

2) A "relatively' new smartphone will probably be OK.

Yay Rick..... you've come thru' again.  Does that mean (1) as long as phone is near wifi, and laptop in connected (always) that's all he needs?

My old Samsung Galaxy S5 (2014 model) takes excellent pix. Maybe we can find him something similar.   MIL gracias. 

The phone just has to have wifi.... from somewhere/anywhere but not necessarily 'near' the laptop.... and the laptop has the capability to connect to the Internet. 

So take a picture, go 'somewhere/anywhere' where there is a wifi connection that is open to you (home/cafe/anywhere!) and send the picture from the smartphone by attaching it to an email to hubby's email address.  

Hubby's laptop is connected to the Internet anywhere.... In Canada!.... by either hard wire or wifi; opens up his email, reads the email and 'saves' the attached picture to his laptop 'pictures' folder. From that folder he can look at it, send it to someone else, print it (if he has a good photo printer either attached to his laptop or "on" the network that his laptop is on ), and keep it for eternity if desired. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RickS said:

.....So take a picture, go 'somewhere/anywhere' where there is a wifi connection that is open to you (home/......Hubby's laptop is connected to the Internet anywhere.... In Canada!....

Oh Rick that's TOO funny!  He hasn't set foot on Canadian soil in over 24 years!  "If they want to see me, they know where I am....."    But he can take his pix, and when he comes home (here) the laptop is always connected and wifi will do the trick for the phone.  Really appreciate this info, amigo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

Oh Rick that's TOO funny!  He hasn't set foot on Canadian soil in over 24 years!  "If they want to see me, they know where I am....."    But he can take his pix, and when he comes home (here) the laptop is always connected and wifi will do the trick for the phone.  Really appreciate this info, amigo

Natasha, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, model SM - N950U1. Great camera, good battery.   I left on a vacation without it so bought a Samsung S21.  

I have two basically unused IPhone 6 I bought on EBay that turned out to have been stolen and were locked out of the Apple computer.  EBay investigated the fraud and refunded me the money but did not want the phones back.

I wonder if these could be used to take pictures and email them?  Do you think Ruben would know?

Anyone who could make this work I'd be happy to give them one of the phones.

27 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I have two basically unused IPhone 6 I bought on EBay that turned out to have been stolen and were locked out of the Apple computer.  EBay investigated the fraud and refunded me the money but did not want the phones back.

I wonder if these could be used to take pictures and email them?  Do you think Ruben would know?

Anyone who could make this work I'd be happy to give them one of the phones.

Sending you a pm right now amigo

41 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I have two basically unused IPhone 6 I bought on EBay that turned out to have been stolen....

I wonder if these could be used to take pictures and email them?  

Well one does NOT have to wonder. Just fire one up, turn on wifi and 'connect' to your house wifi with it,  load whatever email app you normally use, take a picture that will end up in Apple Photos, 'compose' an email to 'someone or yourself' and attach the picture from Photos to the email. Send it. 

If you get an email from yourself and you can open the picture, the phone is working. 

Keep it simple.

• If you want a camera, buy a camera. You can find inexpensive (~$50 USD), point-and-shoot cameras on Amazon with 4.5 star reviews, no problem. Or, maybe consider a GoPro knock-off that will shoot video or stills, is surprisingly small, and comes in under $100 USD.

• Regular USB-A SD Card readers are trivial and barely qualify as "technology." They're less than $10 (maybe less than $6), and I probably have eight of them. Here are two I found without getting up:

PXL_20230131_233620515.thumb.jpg.36744baad84b544e85f90b6ac064859c.jpg

The upper one will take a micro SD card alone, or in its carrier. The bottom one can go on your keychain.

Cameras are a very opinionated space, but the best camera for anybody is the one they have on them.

LQ

• Like 1

thanks to all, but sudden onset health thing for me (unexpected, non-life threatening, but a painful aggravation) plus two large elderly dogs needing surgeries next week, means this project has to go on the back burner for now             appreciate all the input 💝

2 device "intranet":

Put Whatsapp on the cell phone, and open Whatsapp Web / Desktop on the PC.

Any photos taken on the phone should be instantly fully synced onto the PC.

If you take the photo while inside any "contact" person, it happens to be automatically copied to Whatsapp Web on the laptop  (from there you can just hit the download icon and it saves onto the hard drive)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1