Chapala.com Webboard

Strange CFE billing issue with solar when prepaying our bill.

tazman

Like many people in Mexico we have a small solar array to keep us from hitting the DAC rate. 

With the problem paying CFE online with American credit cards, we decided to prepay our bill in person so we wouldn't have to worry about it for a few months.  We don't use much power most of the year and we paid about 5 month's worth of our small bill in advanced.

During the next few months we thought our solar array had failed.  We were charged monthly for electric usage when we should have had at least a small surplus.  The array seemed to be working properly and the solar controller's meter said we were generating normally but nothing was showing up on our bill.  Since we use so little power these charges were were minor, but we entered the winter months (when we use the most power) with a zero KWH's of power credit shown on our CFE bill.

Last month the money we had prepaid ran out.  Now the bill is showing ALL the power we generated for the last 6 months which is much more of a surplus than we would normally have because we've been paying for power each month despite our solar generation.  The bill said the tiny credit they pay for a surplus will show on our next bill so I don't know if we can use it now or have lost it due to CFE's billing issue.

IDK if this is a general problem with CFE billing or was specific to our account, but if you prepay your CFE bill be aware that your billing and solar credits may not be accurate until your prepay funds run out. 

27 minutes ago, Kiko said:

Maybe some info here :..

Looking at that thread and again at our latest bill, it seems that when the prepaid balance ran out they applied all previous credits for the last six month to our total surplus even though there was no surplus shown for the billed period on any of those bills (including this one.)  CFE's billing is even weirder than I thought.  The flip side is that due to the same billing calculations it does look like we can still actually use that surplus.

I'm surprised you could get to paying online.  I owe a balance, even after solar went in.  Not sure how to pay it online as it always says invalid.  I am hoping at the next billing (wishful thinking) that the amount of solar sent back to CFE covers more than what I owe.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:51 PM, tjt said:

I'm surprised you could get to paying online.  I owe a balance, even after solar went in.  Not sure how to pay it online as it always says invalid.  I am hoping at the next billing (wishful thinking) that the amount of solar sent back to CFE covers more than what I owe.

You will be responsible for the minimum fee,  YOu can pay online with Mexican credit or debit. Or use ZOOM  or pay in Oxxo, Walmart, etc