Chapala.com Webboard

Visiting Ajijic next week - anyone else visiting or new to town?

ChiKnight

CG has been gentrified for many years after the former residents were bought out to relocate. Were you there THEN? I recall having to duck down in the back of a cab when going to Sam's Wine shop from downtown.

I am sure that you will find the weather here a large bonus...Your life style will most likely improve as the cost of living is reasonable... We are Ajijic returnees having lived here for four years and then returning to the US... We came back for the weather and a better life style... I would recommend spending a number of months here and check out the various communities... As mentioned above, Tom Barsanti is an excellent person to speak with buying a house or not...

You will find that things are a bit different here but if you are open minded, have a sense of humor, and not time driven, you will find it most wonderful place to live...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiKnight said:

Very interesting!  I've actually heard similar things about Guadalajara.  Would you consider San Miguel de Allende to be superior to Guadalajara in terms of the things that you mentioned?

I do not think "SUperior" fits into any Mexican description, like "Cute" what the hell is Cute?

3 hours ago, ChiKnight said:

I probably should have mentioned that I live across teh street from teh former "Cabrini Green" housing projects in Chicago.  Hard to imagine any of these locations having a more notorious history than my neighborhood when it comes to drugs and crime.   

If your into drugs baby look out there is plenty of ugly completion in Lakeside and Guadalajara. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

CG has been gentrified for many years after the former residents were bought out to relocate. Were you there THEN? I recall having to duck down in the back of a cab when going to Sam's Wine shop from downtown.

I grew up in the neighborhood.  It is still a housing project that spans about 4 square blocks but less violent then it used to be.  

On 1/23/2023 at 5:00 PM, ChiKnight said:

Thank you! I appreciate the insights.  At this point I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for but I'm hoping that "I will know it when I see it."  I will be looking into the best ways to tour Chapala tomorrow and hope to make it there next Wednesday.  Currently I'm living near downtown Chicago (talk about crowded) but certainly wouldn't mind a bit of peace and quite.  

That was us a year ago. After looking in the Ajijic area, we decided it was far too busy and ended up buying on the south side of the lake. We can go to Ajijic any time we like but have peace and quiet here in San Nicolás de Acuña 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CorinneS said:

That was us a year ago. After looking in the Ajijic area, we decided it was far too busy and ended up buying on the south side of the lake. We can go to Ajijic any time we like but have peace and quiet here in San Nicolás de Acuña 

Plus you have streets and sidewalks that are nicer, better maintained  and cleaner!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1