Chapala.com Webboard

Tax preparer needed for US Taxes

cookj5

Any recommendations for tax preparers of US taxes? We are looking for someone based here at Lakeside with a basic fee that is reasonable. Our current tax person’s basic fee has now jumped to $300 USD. Our taxes are not terribly complex, but still more than we want to deal with on our own. Please include contact info, if possible. Thanks!

Have you tried the programs such as TurboTax? I know this isn't what you asked, but just a note...when we had our business, the first time we needed taxes done, we went to a local tax provider and ended up paying nearly $1k. I knew this wasn't right, but there wasn't much we could do. The next year, I got the program and it was user-friendly and walked me through every stage. I learned a lot, very quickly. What a difference! Even stocks were much easier to claim (buying/selling). It's not for everyone, but it sure was for us. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Tingting said:

Have you tried the programs such as TurboTax? I know this isn't what you asked, but just a note...when we had our business, the first time we needed taxes done, we went to a local tax provider and ended up paying nearly $1k. I knew this wasn't right, but there wasn't much we could do. The next year, I got the program and it was user-friendly and walked me through every stage. I learned a lot, very quickly. What a difference! Even stocks were much easier to claim (buying/selling). It's not for everyone, but it sure was for us. 

We also used Turbo Tax for business and personal taxes. It was so much cheaper than paying someone and easier in the end.

• Like 1

$300 is fair price for probably what you may have, you do not make price the issue, your accountant is doing a good job stay with them, quality is the issue, you may switch to someone with lower quality and less experience.  Its cost more this year for tax software and education to be a tax accountant. also inflation up 8% cost of living.

I am semi retired tax accountant and financial planner,   no tax return is simple. most people  have something unusual, or an odd issue to deal with.

You cant just copy off last years tax return, Laws and rules change every year and if now you may have other issues as an expat.

also if you have bank account in Mexico, make sure you check the box on schedule B, If you have a foriegn account. and if you have over $10,000 dollars file  a fin cin 114, it is required.

Get constancia from your Mexican bank  and report interest earned deduct any foreign taxes you pay on a from 1116.

They now have artificial intelligence to check foriegn accounts, they are getting smarter.

.if you which to change tax accountant do your due diligence. Check the person out carefully.

I am not taking on new business. I have plenty of good clients who want a seasoned professional.

Most acountants I know here and in the states are raising they fees a llittle bit do to inflation. 

• Like 2

$300 seems like a reasonable price. I will 100% disagree with users who say to use Turbo tax or other online software. A friend went and used 5 different ones a couple years ago and EVERY program came up with different amounts owed or refunded all with the same info. I pay a lot more than 300 and will gladly do so as my CPA saves me more than his cost in deductions I just don’t know about. 
Just my 2cents. ❤️

• Thanks 1

OP has suggested taxes aren't terribly complex but wishes to use a 'preparer'.  May or may not know about TurboTax and the like but....

I have for years used Turbo and now H&R Block programs. Formerly wife ran an LLC and we had 'simple' stock holdings. Program could not have been more simple to use. After 'gathering' tax material, it usually takes me 3-4 hours to 'answer the questions and key in data'. Cost maybe $40 for the program.  Free online IF you have a simple tax return (no complex investments, etc) Only once had a problem and they 'cured' that pretty quickly.

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/21156/the-best-tax-software/

To each his own.....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Toritrue said:

I just need someone to help me with my taxes.  I pay fare rates.  No don't tell me about turbo tax, etc.  I always used a tax accountant in the states, now retired.

Please, I just need a name.

Thank you.

I provided a link in this post on 23 January for local tax preparation. Did you see it?

• 6 months later...

I used Scott Granville of Taxes In Mexico for eleven years and he always needed to contact my banker to make sure the money was available in the bank for the IRS.  Well last year he got lazy and I believe had an assistant do the work and I was penalized by the government for not having the funds in the bank.  I had even put my banker's name and number on the folder when I submitted the taxes to make sure he remembered to contact my banker.  I then told Scott that I would deduct the penalty from his fee which was only a few hundred but I was furious after 11 years of having his company do my taxes.  Well he dropped me like a brick and said he did not want my business.  Eleven years of loyalty and he treated me terribly so I am switching to another.  Scott is hardly invested since he comes from Guadalajara only once a week and

obviously has his assistants do the work.