Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel help

I am having repeated problems with my Telcel Amigo plan which I pay $200 pesos per month for "unlimited".  Often I am unable to access my maps program or play podcasts while driving.  I have an iPhone 11.  Last week I went to Mascota and had no map service the entire time; very annoying and potentially dangerous.  I had a paper map but they are very inadequate.  I also couldn't receive emails or do anything online; the internet was very bad there but I could call the friend I was traveling with so I know I had cellular service.  When I go to the Telcel office the clerks always push a bunch of buttons or take it into the back and then tell me I'm using too much cellular data but I am a very light user of my phone and I'm willing to pay to get "unlimited" cellular data.  I absolutely want to be able to use my maps feature as I'm wandering around the Jalisco back country.  Can anyone help me to solve this issue or direct me to a phone guru,  hopefully without sarcasm or abuse?  Thanks for sincere, knowledgeable answers.  

The unlimited refers to calls and text, not data.

I believe the 200p package gives 3 gig of data. 

Try using wifi whenever it is available to save on using your own data. Most restaurants and coffee shops will give you their passwords. 

Edit:

Also you can download podcasts for later playback while on wifi to save more data.

Edited by Whipstock
Poscast info
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

If you have unlimited calling and wifi but only so many mb of cellular data be careful to turn off the cellular data when you don’t need it. I forgot to turn it off one time and it cost me a few 100 pesos extra on my bill. 

Thanks for your response, yes I know to do this which is why it's frustrating

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

Thanks for your response, yes I know to do this which is why it's frustrating

"Unlimited for 200p per  month gives you very little use of the Internet. Therein is your problem. Whipstock is "right on ".

• Like 1

There are probably "dead zones" on the roads to Mascota....there certainly are still some bad areas even around lakeside for cell coverage.

You can choose to use Google Maps "offline" so it is saved on the device.

Good luck but don't rely on active cell coverage in more remote areas in any country.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Go Solar said:

There are probably "dead zones" on the roads to Mascota....there certainly are still some bad areas even around lakeside for cell coverage.

You can choose to use Google Maps "offline" so it is saved on the device.

Good luck but don't rely on active cell coverage in more remote areas in any country.    

Exactly what I was thinking.

There is one pueblo near Mascota that has been collecting funds from residents and others to bring cell service to their little town for several years. Poco a poco,  $50- 100 pesos at a time. ❤

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Kiko said:

On the Amigo plan if you renew before the plan expires then your data will rollover to the next monthly cycle,  I started renewing early late summer 2022 and today I have 15 gb.  I normally get 3gb if I renew after the expiration date.

How early do you renew?  I paid for six months in advance, and it automatically antes up, well, after sending me fifty messages urging me to give them money before the renewal date.  One of the irritants with Telcel (and CFE, TotalPlay, etc.,) is that their payment app seldom works so one has to trot to the local Oxxo every month which is why I paid in advance.  

6 hours ago, chapalence said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

There is one pueblo near Mascota that has been collecting funds from residents and others to bring cell service to their little town for several years. Poco a poco,  $50- 100 pesos at a time. ❤

A dead spot means a place with no cell service. If there is no cell service, you can not be using your cell's data.

Maps, without data will give you your location  on the road, as it is usi g GPS. The data part is to look for restaurants etc.

Try opening maps with the phone in airplane mode. In a test run It should show your location as you travel.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Google-Maps-Offline

Google Maps allows you to download an area to your phone so you do not need cellular for navigation in cellular dead spot areas…

Note: Do this when your phone has wifi so as to not use your data GBs…

Click the three bars on the left and one of the options is “Offline Maps”…

BF9EA057-ECC7-49A8-889F-5340D41D4139.png