Chapala.com Webboard

New antismoking law takes effect yoday

jrod

11 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

I noticed at two stores today that their cigarettes were covered from view.  Is this part of the new law?

"Save yourself from a fine In which places is smoking prohibited as of today?

With the new law, tobacco-free spaces are expanded, so there will be fines for those who smoke cigarettes of up to 3,000 pesos.

The new law prohibits smoking on public transport and in schools. (Darkroom)

January 15, 2023 | 4:34 p.m.

The new General Law for Tobacco Control entered into force this Sunday, January 15, and with it, new restrictions on the sale and consumption of tobacco in the country.

This law prohibits all forms of cigarette advertising as well as its display at points of sale, so now stores like Oxxo must hide them from public view and have a list of names and prices in which they inform those who want to buy.

With the aim of protecting the health of the population, mainly children, this measure includes the expansion of tobacco-free spaces, so smokers will have fewer spaces and new signs so they know when it is allowed and when it is not.

Places where you can no longer smoke

As of this Sunday, January 15, smoking is prohibited in:

A smokeless tobacco business

Work centers. Public transport. Schools. Venues where shows are held. Hotels. Stadiums. Shopping malls. Beaches, parks or places where girls, boys and adolescents are, as well as those marked with the legend "Free space for smoke”. Restaurants may not offer a smoking area.

The Federal Commission for the Protection Against Sanitary Risks (Cofepris) will monitor compliance with the rule, and if you want to report a person who smokes in prohibited places, call 800 033 5050.

In Mexico, approximately one in eight Mexicans, that is, 16 million, are smokers, and there are 173 deaths due to smoking.

With this measure, it is expected that the demand for tobacco will decrease and that the new generations will normalize their consumption, in order to benefit health.

The Ministry of Health expects to prevent 49 thousand premature deaths and 292 thousand new cases of diseases associated with smoking in the next 10 years thanks to the denormalization of tobacco, as well as a saving of 116 thousand pesos in diseases associated with the consumption of cigarettes and other products with nicotine."

© Copyright, Lauman Multimedia Group, SAPI de CV

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RickS said:

Pappy I suspect that you are right about the majority being smoked but much is consumed in other modalities such as 'edibles'.  And by 'experience' I don't mean indulging but rather observing!  

Living in MC's "legalized dope smoking state" for years.... as opposed to just talking in conjectures about something but having no real experience in said.... I don't see nor hear of much of what is being alleged. And I don't have my head in the sand on the subject. 

The first legalization in Colorado was for Medical MJ;  then later came 'recreational' sales.  In those years I did not see or smell any more 'evidence' than from when it was done under-the-sheets.  Since all smoking by now is banned (by the heavy handed authoritarians and oppression control freaks!) in public places there is basically no smoke of any kind being disbursed and boy is it nice! BYW, public places do NOT include walking down the street or in a park etc. But I RARELY smell MJ anywhere when I am out. 

Now don't get me wrong. I am NOT a champion of smoking.... ANYTHING. But it is not my right nor intent to bad mouth anyone who chooses to do so.  I was a fool for smoking for 8 years way back when. I choose to NOT go to places where smoking is allowed (in other states and countries). My choice. My money. My life. 

If all the MJ smokers adhered to your thoughts on the subject there would be no problems. I also don't smoke, never did because both my parents did and nearly suffocated me, and don't wish to push my view on either product on anyone else. I do observe, however, much hypocrisy on the views of some stoners as seeing their choice as much more "enlightened" than tobacco smokers.

3 hours ago, Yo1 said:

I noticed at two stores today that their cigarettes were covered from view.  Is this part of the new law?

Excerpt from MX Daily article this week:

The anti-smoking law also prohibits all forms of advertising and promotion of cigarettes including sponsorship arrangements involving tobacco companies. Retailers such as the ubiquitous convenience store Oxxo are no longer permitted to stock tobacco products in open view of customers.

57 minutes ago, artsnob said:

Yesterday inspectors were checking restaurants in Ajijic, They found smokers in Scallions Ajijic and gave owner a citation. this morning at El Jarden, it was almost empty because the regular smokers were not there, I wonder where they are going to go now?

To the smoke house in west Ajijic 😊

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, sunnyvmx said:

Yesterday I watched the cook upstairs at Pancho's light up and smoke in the kitchen. But nobody tells the cook what to do. 

Does La Estacion (Upstairs) use the same cook as Pancho's (lower level(?   Not that it matters, really.  Just curious.

• Like 1

I see the Governor of Jalisco who does not smoke came out a couple days ago and stated the new law is excessive and very hard to enforce.  In Informador.

https://www.informador.mx/jalisco/Ley-antitabaco-Enrique-Alfaro-gobernador-de-Jalisco-considera-excesivas-nuevas-medidas-contra-fumadores-20230117-0149.html

I don't think Jalisco is going to work very hard at enforcing this one.

Good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 2:57 PM, Yo1 said:

Ibarra answered this in an earlier post but, here it is again.

Copied from Mexico Daily article :

The anti-smoking law also prohibits all forms of advertising and promotion of cigarettes including sponsorship arrangements involving tobacco companies. Retailers such as the ubiquitous convenience store Oxxo are no longer permitted to stock tobacco products in open view of customers.