Chapala.com Webboard

Predial increase of 300%

barrbower

Our predial went up about 300% for this year.  Still low compared to US or Canada but we also don't get much for our money.  New comers are primarily responsible for the home values skyrocketing.  We are also mostly to thank for many quality of life improvements in this area and we continue to add millions of dollars to the local economy every month and most locals understand the trade off.  The average increase for a typical Mexican homeowner's predial was much lower because the average value of those homes is much lower.  We all understand that.  I asked the clerk at the moment I was paying if folks were complaining about the increase and she confirmed that they are.  I asked what improvements in services would we see with all the extra cash flowing into the local budget.  She laughed and said it wasn't her department...

But it is somebody's department so I'd like to know.  I think a list of proposed items should be published, discussed publicly, then generally agreed upon.  We all have hope things like road/street repairs, lighting improvements, trash collection, policing, traffic management, etc. will get some additional attention.  But not many of us have much faith that will happen.  We mostly expect the additional funds to just disappear by the time the current administration is out of office.  I hope I'm wrong but history is a powerful teacher.

Government at all levels in all countries doesn't usually prevent or solve problems...it administers problems. There is profit in that process and  most of the time it  benefits the administration and friends and families who want to stay in power or have access to that power for financial gain.  It would be wonderful if our local government would be the exception to the norm and we could start to see some cooperative efforts that benefit the local community. 

Alan

• Sad 1

I assume that you have read all the other comments (on both forums) about a few increases in predials? Most did not go up anywhere near that much but some people have had the size of their construction mysteriously increase with the resulting increase in the calculated predial. It is up to YOU to check the details on your bill and take the appropriately needed steps to correct the information.

• Thanks 2

Of course I have been seeing similar comments in different places.  In our case it had to do only with the home's evaluation which last year was way below market value and is now pretty close to, but still below, market value.  Two years ago I did discuss an increase based on square footage and it was adjusted a little.  I don't feel like the current evaluation is out of line so am only hoping the extra money gets used wisely and doesn't just disappear...as stated in the original post.  It was not a complaint about the amount we are being charged.  I haven't spoken to many expats yet but all I have spoken to had similar increases based on new, more accurate, home evaluations not disputes over square footage.  In this way expats are paying a larger % of the overall increases also as stated in the original post.

Alan

15 hours ago, barrbower said:

In this way expats are paying a larger % of the overall increases also as stated in the original post.

And so they should. If ex-pats have qualified to move here, it's a given their ability to pay outstrips that of the average local Mexican nacional.

I had the predial increase 100% on my empty lot, because I built a light gauge shade roof for my vehicles....thanks Google Earth, oh well.

Apparently they are also looking for pools and structures to support solar panels.

2 hours ago, ea93105 said:

I had the predial increase 100% on my empty lot, because I built a light gauge shade roof for my vehicles....thanks Google Earth, oh well.

Apparently they are also looking for pools and structures to support solar panels.

Do you mean they charge extra for solar panels?

We have had solar for maybe 4 years and this year our taxes quadrupled.

Doesn't mean I will pay it without a talk with catastro first. Seems the data entry person added an extra zero on the land size for a few of us here in Chapala Haciendas. 

34 minutes ago, chapalence said:

Do you mean they charge extra for solar panels?

We have had solar for maybe 4 years and this year our taxes quadrupled.

Doesn't mean I will pay it without a talk with catastro first. Seems the data entry person added an extra zero on the land size for a few of us here in Chapala Haciendas. 

Not if on your roof, but if you build a seperate stand for them, its more square footage....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got hit with a whopper of an increase too.  9000 pesos.  They claim the place is worth more than any Realtor we've had look at it and give an estimate of selling price.

Looks like a lot of us will be paying a lot more for services and improvements in Chapala this year and thereafter.  🤒

2 hours ago, barrbower said:

Well, MC, you'll be PAYING a lot more...what you'll get is yet to be determined.  I'm betting what you get will look more like the s..t end of the stick.  Based on history, the new found riches will just wither away.

Alan

I'm thinking I may go to Chapala and meet with the "Presidente" and offer him my house for that appraised value.  I would be a very happy camper to get that amount upon sale, for sure.  😅

Meanwhile we have a huge pothole at the end of the street that is now 3 years old.  A neighbor kindly filled it with broken bricks and sand.  It is still better than any tope for slowing down the Tapatios on the weekend.  LOL

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

We got hit with a whopper of an increase too.  9000 pesos.  They claim the place is worth more than any Realtor we've had look at it and give an estimate of selling price.

Looks like a lot of us will be paying a lot more for services and improvements in Chapala this year and thereafter.  🤒

Did your bill show the same numbers for SQ meters of land and SQ meters of construction as the previous years bill? 

The way the value changes is based on those numbers and area.  Your increase if those numbers haven't changed should be under 10%. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is Mexico. You have to be realistic and not expect any extra services for the money.

For example , our public trash collectors went on strike because the govt did not pay them their last pay of the year nor Christmas bonus.  Maybe that money went into renovating the auditorium in Ajijic that what, maybe 300 citizens will benefit from-- and the Gov. of Jalisco came to dedicate. Talk about having priorites screwed up !! 

VERY SAD govt. all the way from Federal to State to Chapala.

10 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Did your bill show the same numbers for SQ meters of land and SQ meters of construction as the previous years bill? 

The way the value changes is based on those numbers and area.  Your increase if those numbers haven't changed should be under 10%. 

Many of us in Chapala Haciendas discovered a data entry error on SQ meters of land where an extra zero had been added at the end.

Some had it corrected by Catastro after waiting several hours to speak with them.

Ours was corrected without that pleasure, which I discovered when I went back to the pagos page to check the bill a second time.

Overall increase for us was 50% after the correction was made. Still, an incredible bargain over taxes on property NOB and this was the first increase in the 6 years we have owned the house.

13 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

First square meter number increased 12, from 650 to 662.  That is about a 2 percent increase.

They doubled the "valor fiscal" without explanation.  100 percent increase.

Do they normally assess at 100 percent or more of market value?

Last year our home square footage showed the same as our lot  That was/is not correct.  Catastro looked at satellite view of our home and could CLEARLY see that our home was not the same size as our lot.  We had to hire an approved person to measure our house again, turn in a revised floor plan with measurements and on and on to be able to get this corrected.  All at our expense, of course.  This year increase was a little less than 10%.  The sales value and the tax value of our home are no where near the same.  Our home, sales value is much higher than the estimated tax value.  We have been told by realtors that the value for taxation has nothing to do with actual amount your house will sell for.  

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

First square meter number increased 12, from 650 to 662.  That is about a 2 percent increase.

They doubled the "valor fiscal" without explanation.  100 percent increase.

Do they normally assess at 100 percent or more of market value?

So they increased your home size or your lot size?   I would imagine your lot size didn't change.  They must believe you added size to your home somehow.  However, a 2 percent increase does not justify a 100% increase in valuation.   Market value fluctuates depending on demand etc.   If you pay the increased amount you will find it very, very, very difficult to ever get a credit for the overpayment.   IMHO You really need to go and talk to them about this.     

If the first number is home size, they increased that by about the amount of a small roof top mirador we added a few years back.

However, the first number is 662 square meters which works out to over 6700 square feet.  That is far larger than this house is, counting both floors and the garage.  It is near double.  Are they including things like walls, sidewalks, pools, everything that isn't dirt in this number?

The big hit is they doubled the assessed valuation overall.  As near as I can tell from what realtors tell us, the place is now valued for more than it can be sold for.  Hence my question as to whether they value at 100 percent or more of market value.

How many here have an assessed value that is at or above the actual market value of your home as you know it?