Chapala.com Webboard

Notario #5 in Chapala

HarryB

I was there yesterday. They were moving boxes and files out. I was told it was their last day. Notaria #5 will no longer exist. Marcias is retiring. Apparently son will be opening but looking at rental sites in both Ajijic and near Soriana at this time. Alma Martinez gave me her phone number should I need service. 3315284176.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Doesn't surprise me. Just think about how many restaurants and stores you go to that are closed for the day, week or longer and there aren't any signs on the door to let you know what is going on.  Just proves 2 of our long time memes: 1. YOU WOULD HAVE TO CARE  2. YOU'D HAVE TO WANT TO MAKE MONEY.

Way back I think he was the "only" guy in town, but things have changed over the years. He did lots of work for me and I found him very professional. But along came Spencer and provided an alternative option.

I think his son was working from the other side of the lake. (Do you recall the son was in his car going East at the Walmart junicion and had the misfortune to be crushed by a run away cement truck, he was OK)   The Chapala building was always being fixed up for huge cracks that kept appearing.

3 hours ago, linda clark said:

I was there yesterday. They were moving boxes and files out. I was told it was their last day. Notaria #5 will no longer exist. Marcias is retiring. Apparently son will be opening but looking at rental sites in both Ajijic and near Soriana at this time.

For those who don't know:   There are only so many Notarios permitted to be in delineated geographical areas at any one time...... determined by population and a governing set of rules.  Even if one WANTS to be a Notario, and manages to pass the requirements, exams, etc., if they want to be in a certain "zone" they have to wait in line ( could be YEARS) until a space opens up..... usually by death or retirement but can be other reasons.  I assume the son has been waiting in the  wings...... and perhaps may have been given some sort of preference to follow in dad's footsteps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Natasha said:

For those who don't know:   There are only so many Notarios permitted to be in delineated geographical areas at any one time...... determined by population and a governing set of rules.  Even if one WANTS to be a Notario, and manages to pass teh requirements, exams, etc., if they want to be in a certain "zone" they have to wait in line ( could be YEARS) until a space opens up..... usually by death or retirement but can be other reasons.  I assume teh son has been waiting in teh  wings...... and perhaps may have been given some sort of preference to follow in dad's footsteps?

Yes you are correct...BUT....... I have many times used, Guillermo Cuen, who is an attorney at 325 Zaragoza, Chapala,,  and partners with this Notario:

Remember there is a sliding scale of charges that all attorneys and Notaria's use, I have found him to be very professional and reasonable...no tinsel and glitter office but does a good job
Pascual Avila Perez, Notaria Publica No. 1
Ixtlahuacan De Los Membrillos, Jal
376 762 0240 or 376 762 0040

22 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Yes you are correct...BUT....... I have many times used, Guillermo Cuen, who is an attorney at 325 Zaragoza, Chapala,,  and partners with this Notario:

Remember there is a sliding scale of charges that all attorneys and Notaria's use, I have found him to be very professional and reasonable...no tinsel and glitter office but does a good job
Pascual Avila Perez, Notaria Publica No. 1
Ixtlahuacan De Los Membrillos, Jal
376 762 0240 or 376 762 0040

Except they do not answer the phone or reply to e-mails.  I have tried to reach him many times.