Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala property tax

Kalik

2 hours ago, Kalik said:

It shows the 15%discount for January.  I was looking for the 50% discount for seniors 

Good luck finding that discount.  I have been told in past years at Catastro that in order to receive that discount you have to qualify.  I believe qualifications are basically you must be destitute.  Perhaps someone else on this Board knows more about it.  

The discount is for citizens on the first $800,000 or $1 million pesos of valuation not the whole tax bill (unless of course is under that amount). However, I was told when trying to claim the discount, Predial allows either the 15% early discount or the $50% partial discount, not both. 

• Thanks 1

https://mexlaw.com/take-advantage-discounted-property-taxes-impuesto-predial/

Excerpt:

"Payment plans are available for homeowners who can not afford to pay in full by January, and some states offer a 50% discounted program for retirees over 60-years old and disabled homeowners. Check with your municipality for details and qualifications. Retired foreigners must hold temporary or permanent residence."

https://www.mexperience.com/inapam-mexicos-discount-card-for-seniors/

Ok, please, please, please don't shoot me, but (there's always a but, isn't there?) aren't the taxes low enough for you? We've been here nearly 18 years and we STILL pay less for the year than we did for 1 month in Texas. I'm for taking all of the discounts you can, but I'm not going to get too worked up over the predial. This is apples to oranges, but many times when I purchase meds, I automatically get a discount even though I don't have a DIF card. They used to ask but now it's automatic.  I'd be insulted, but they're right :)

ETA:  I realize that not everyone is in the best of situations, so please go for it if you meet the requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Chapala has never given the discount to non citizens. 

Mexican citizens. If your house is valued al less than a million the 50% senor discount on the base number is a good deal. But you will not receive the early pay15% discount. 

If your house is valued at say 3 million then the early pay 15% discount on the total bill is a better deal than the 50% on the base. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maryanna said:

Well, I do not know how the taxes are calculated. We just read there would be an increase. Well, ours was doubled. It is still a lot less money than the US but I just wonder how it was calculated or did everyone's taxes double. 

Maryanna, there have been NUMEROUS threads regarding Property Taxes in the last weeks.  Please read them.  The average increase that people are reporting is approximately 9.6%.   If you have concerns about your particular increase, as stated in other threads, you need to take action by 1) contacting an attorney to help your or 2) going to Catastro and finding out why you received such a high increase.   

No need to compare taxes in U.S. or any where else in the world.  We live here, in MX.  We live by this financial standard, not that of other countries.  Just because you say it is less here does not make the reason for your doubled increase legit.  Mistakes are made all of the time, and, if you don't research this one, you are giving in to them and they will just continue to do this to us.  Make your complaint/concerns known to Catastro.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Maryanna said:

Well, I do not know how the taxes are calculated. We just read there would be an increase. Well, ours was doubled. It is still a lot less money than the US but I just wonder how it was calculated or did everyone's taxes double. 

For at least 4 or 5 years the Chapala has been checking properties one by one on Google Earth for the dimensions of the land and the dimensions of the construction.  When they get to yours if it differs from the original documents they change it. They do not send any notice.  Happened to me because the satellite pic was taken on a day when I had a large party and the tent in the yard looked like it was an addition to the house of about 30 square meters in the photo. 

Look at your last tax bill for the square meter area below the title Sup. Const    Then the land square meter below Area Titulo

If those numbers are different this year than last year.... there lies your problem.   You need to go to the office behind the tax windows in the Municipal Palace

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

In the first year Chapala started using Google Earth and Street View our taxes almost doubled. It was all due to a large increase in the taxable square meters. I went to Catrasto and talked to the man in the back that was mentioned in this discussion. He pointed out the Google Earth image saying that our house was 2 stories not one. I told him we had 5 meter ceilings in a 1 story. In the end they came out to see for themselves but while there they discovered a gazebo had been built since someone last looked so the square meters went up a bit but not doubled.

The taxable square meters of construction and land are listed on the receipts and so is easy to compare to prior years.

• Like 1

I have to add...the Google Earth is a very real possibility for outrageous increases. I've mentioned this before, but a couple of years ago it happened to us. I went in with a very recent survey and the guy who did the calculations couldn't have been more pleasant and cooperative. We were actually about to hire someone to help us report all of the changes with our property when this happened. I actually thanked him because he saved us money by the update coming directly from his office instead of having to use an attorney's services. 

FWIW, I do realize this isn't the US and comparing the tax systems is unfair, BUT it is a reality that it's less here. Yes, inflation is here and yes, it hurts, but the pain is a lot less here than there. JMHO.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 1/9/2023 at 11:31 AM, sm1mex said:

50% discount to Mexican citizens 

Chapala won’t give the discount to permanente residents. 

Chapala does not give discount high enough to Mexicans to be worth it.The early Bird discount is higher that what they give to Mexicans.I am.a citizen and asked about it.

16 hours ago, bmh said:

Chapala does not give discount high enough to Mexicans to be worth it.The early Bird discount is higher that what they give to Mexicans.I am.a citizen and asked about it.

The discount is for citizens on the first $800,000  pesos of valuation not the whole tax bill (unless of course is under that amount).  When you claim that discount there are no early pay discounts. For most middle class homeowners the early discount will be bigger that the 50% on the first 800K

• Like 1