Chapala.com Webboard

Vacation Days New Law Jan 1, 2023

Natasha

I'm assuming one will apply this new scale and can then continue to use rollybrook's old calculator for vacation days ( once per year with aguinaldo). Hoping Guad Reporter may publish, but in the meantime,    you can see for yourself.  Sorry I have to give you the whole article but don't know how to  show only part.

https://www.informador.mx/mexico/Vacaciones-dignas-A-partir-de-este-primero-de-enero-ya-puedes-solicitar-tus-12-dias-de-vacaciones-20230101-0025.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sunshineydays said:

So do they actually get those days off with full pay or are they part of the normal years end calculation?

this is part of the year-end annual calculation      as for stat holidays during the year, they are entitled to either to be given the day off with pay, or be paid double             ( triple?) if they work.... tho' many will tell you  not to bother       many I know of opt to work at regular pay becasue ???

If you employ someone who works 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and takes a "vacation day", the law as presented makes sense. Now if that person also works 4 hours on Saturday and happens to take a long weekend, is Saturday a "day" even though it is half the number of hours of the other days?

I've never had an employee take a vacation day during 20 years in Ajijic and 9 in Guayabitos so the real question is what is the monetary value of a vacation day when paying out at year end based on the Government rules?

The old Rollybrook site seems to imply that the value of one vacation day is the workers weekly rate divided by 7 or possibly 6. 

I believe the new government mandate makes the Rollybrook calculation guide obsolete. Hopefully new guidance will pop up during the year to clarify the monetary value of a vacation day.

2 hours ago, John Shrall said:

I believe the new government mandate makes the Rollybrook calculation guide obsolete.

(1)  are you sure you're not confusing statutory holidays and annual vacation ( holiday) pay?

(2)  What's confusing about applying the old site  and inserting new numbers?    

OLD guide:  Year 1 -- 6 days                     NEW law:     Year 1---12 days
                     Year 2 -- 8 days                                         Year 2 ---14  days
                     Year 3 --  10 days                                       Year 3 ---16
                     Year 4 --12 days                                         Year 4--- 18
                     Year 5 --  14 days                                       Year 5 --- 20
                     Year 10 --  16 days                                      Year 6 - 10 ---- 22 days
                     Year 15 --  18 days                                      Year 11 - 15 ----24 days
                      etc                                                                etc.

26 (days worked) divided by  365   (days in year)  x 6 (old guide  year one) x 1.25 (old guide) x  $ daily wage   =  vacation pay                                                                                                

NEW scale:  insert 12 where the 6 is and proceed.  Makes sense to me.  Others???

1 hour ago, John Shrall said:

Who says the 12 goes in place of the 6?  And your example is for year 1. What about year 10 with 22 vacation days?

If you go to the link I posted ( and ibarra added), the very large chart (just scroll down a touch) begins with the heading:  The decree of Dignified Vacations in Mexico is now official, which establishes a minimum of 12 days of rest after serving one year in the same workplace.   It then proceeds to tell you how many days per years worked as I outlined above.

Ergo, in year 10, the old number was 16 and the new one is 22.   "X" (days worked) divided by  365   (days in year)  x 22 (new guide  year 10) x 1.25 (old guide) x  $ daily wage   =  vacation pay

• Like 2