Chapala.com Webboard

Property Taxes 2023

ibarra

Amount due just appeared on this site:  https://pagos.chapala.gob.mx/#about

FYI Our house has been valued at 200,000 pesos more than last year which, with discount, resulted in a 262 pesos increase from what we paid in 2022.  So, that isn't 88% increase as referenced in many local periodicals.  But, we live in a rural area (Brisas de Chapala) and the large increase may not be valid only for urban areas.  Who knows....

• Thanks 3

We were told last year at Catastro that any kind of cover over a patio counts as a roof which then makes the measurements of that area part of the size of your actual home measurement. We went through the same thing as you last year. Our difference being we did  absolutely nothing to cover a patio or any other type of construction.  We hired an attorney to help us and found out that our house was measured incorrectly when we built it 16 years ago.  Catastro tried to charge us back taxes for THEIR error.  They did not succeed. 

• Thanks 1

LOL. Watch out for umbrellas that you can put up and down then because a shade cloth is also something that can be put up or taken down depending on the season. They are not structural nor do they require a structure. It's just a money grab.

4 hours ago, utilitus said:

I wonder...would a raked, 35 sq mt solar panel installation suspended 2-3 mt over a walkable roof qualify as taxable 'roofing'?

IMHO Use the website provided and see if your property size increased from last year.  If no, and you still want an answer, contact an attorney or, better yet, contact Catastro.  You can go to Catastro and ask a hypothetical question without revealing your address.  I would go to the office behind where you pay and ask there.   There is at least one person in that office that speaks English if you need it.  I can't remember his name though.

5 minutes ago, ibarra said:

IMHO Use the website provided and see if your property size increased from last year.  

Thanks for the sensible suggestion, which would provide information at any stage of such a project (though I would not bet the ranch on a casual bureaucratic inquiry in any country.) This home-design project has been in the planning stage for years (when I was last at Lakeside a year ago I visited the U. Guad. engineering dept.) and it will be 'deeply' engineered in advance rather than cobbled together over time.  

1 minute ago, utilitus said:

Thanks for the sensible suggestion, which would provide information at any stage of such a project (though I would not bet the ranch on a casual bureaucratic inquiry in any country.) This home-design project has been in the planning stage for years (when I was last at Lakeside a year ago I visited the U. Guad. engineering dept.) and it will be 'deeply' engineered in advance rather than cobbled together over time.  

I don't really think Catastro care how much research you have put into the design of your project.  They simply care if you have covered a patio or not.

1 minute ago, ibarra said:

They simply care if you have covered a patio or not.

Yes, of course.  But knowing what to expect is an aspect of 'financial' engineering...  And there can be surprising rules and exceptions. Off the subject, but I hope that Mexico revives a wholesome version of the Maquilladora program to produce solar gear as the Chinese wear out their welcome in the US, because Mexico of all the oil producing nations is reportedly running out the fastest.

It is most all done by satellite  and I went last year and questioned my increase in charges and one nice guy went over the picture of my property and awnings were not chargeable  at that time , my bill  was reduced  the fellow  was really nice. Were you investigate is behind  the counter  were you receive you tax bill.the 👍

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, phil in mexico said:

It is most all done by satellite  and I went last year and questioned my increase in charges and one nice guy went over the picture of my property and awnings were not chargeable  at that time , my bill  was reduced  the fellow  was really nice. Were you investigate is behind  the counter  were you receive you tax bill.the 👍

Ours is 4 times what it was last year with only a two meter increase in construction size. That corresponds to some Maya Sombra we put up to allow for some shade plants.

Our realtor is going to ayuntamiento for us and I will pass this on to her. Thank you.

• Like 1