Chapala.com Webboard

USDA Prime Steaks

tomgates

36 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

You could try Los Tres Butchery on the lateral mountain side east of TelMex. They sell US beef and Senora. We buy the Senora and it is great. US $$. 

We used to live in SONORA and almost all of the good beef was shipped out of there and probably most of it arrived here.  We buy the SONORAN rib eye from Los 3 Butchery. YumYum!   We don't think it is that expensive compared to buying other beef products locally that you simply can't cut or chew. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ibarra said:

We used to live in SONORA and almost all of the good beef was shipped out of there and probably most of it arrived here.  We buy the SONORAN rib eye from Los 3 Butchery. YumYum!   We don't think it is that expensive compared to buying other beef products locally that you simply can't cut or chew. 

Thank you for shopping local small businesses.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Yes. We buy Senora all the time at the Butchery. They also have a selection of imported US beef but more $$ than Senora. We prefer the Senora over US as Senora is tender and great flavor. They also have many more choices other than beef. 

It is the State of SONORA, not Senora.       Senora (señora) =   madam, lady, ma'am, - dama, amiga, 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

There is a misconception about USDA inspected meat.  Just because it is USDA inspected does not mean  the meat comes from the United States.  Cattlemen in the USA have tried to get legislation to show where the beef comes from but so far this has not happened.  So the USDA steak could come from Mexico, Canada or anywhere.  There are government inspectors but meat processors can apply to be their own inspectors and apply the USDA certification.  So the steak you buy may not be USA meat and may not even be government certified.  Here in Mexico I would buy Sonora steaks just as quickly as USDA certified ones.  Costco probably knows where their steaks come from but I am sure many suppliers do not.

I few years ago in Canada I bought some "New Zealand Lamb" at the grocery store.  At home, I read the fine print.  The lamb was from Ontario and packaged and sold by the New Zealand Lamb Company of Toronto......

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

Finally tried Los Tres and I agree with the reviews. I've had the frozen Strip Loin and Rib Eye. Both were excellent and at a reasonable price.

Chicken - not so good

Lamb - I've had better locally

I'm a regular customer for beef. I will try Brisket next.

If the frozen is that good I wonder what fresh Sonora beef would be like?

SunFan