Chapala.com Webboard

Aljibe water level gauge

El Cartero

Not sure exactly what you're looking for,  but the pipa guys will tell you that if you suspect a leak to use a long pole like the type to dust your eaves, and before bed mark the level in your tank on the pole and then check it again in the morning.

Our aljibe "hatch" is in our bodega and I can just open it to my water level.

2 hours ago, El Cartero said:

Is there a sales and installation outlet here from which to obtain a water level gauge for aljibe or tinaco?  Thanks 

Aljibe is in the ground and level  works like toilet tank float. Usually you can liofgt the lid, as Chapalce says. Yes, use a long pole if you think you have a leak.

TInaco..... also  float like toilet tank but is on the roof on most cases.  Get up there, move the lid, and simply have  a look inside!

Really Natasha? Nothing simple about climbing a ladder to the roof to do what you think is simple.

I have been looking for something similar to the OP's request since I bought this house. They all sound good but I'm still sitting on the fence about actually doing it. MAC-LEVEL indicator for Cisterns and Water Tanks. It will allow you to visualize the level of water present in a cistern or other type of storage containers for liquids. Includes LED lights. : Amazon.com.mx: Tools and Home Improvement

In a perfect world, I could just check the level before I did a load of laundry or got into the shower to make sure I could complete the task without running into a problem. I just hate having no water when my hair is full of shampoo as I stand there dripping, naked and fuming. It's only happened three times but is really annoying to have to dry off and then connect my small flow through pump to get water from my aljibe to the tinaco. My aljibe is best described as my emergency water since the street pressure takes water right up to the tinaco.

Alternatively, I am also looking into a circular staircase with a handrail so I can get to the roof more easily because there are other things to be checked out up there on a regular basis... and it's a really nice view... but it would still be nice to push a button rather than climbing the stairs.

• Like 2

I too expected I had a leak in my aljibe. At night when all of the dish washing was done I would take a tape measure and measure the distance from the lip of the aljibe to the water level. In the morning before any water use I would take the measurement again. It only took three days for me to realize I had a leak. A new aljibe was soon installed. No more water problem.   

19 hours ago, Ferret said:

Really Natasha? Nothing simple about climbing a ladder to the roof to do what you think is simple.

Testy last night were you my friend?  You have visited my house so know perfectly well I am lucky enough to have stairs to roof, even tho' I do have to use an A-frame ladder to look into one of the two tinacos up there.  You also know I haven't seen yours.... but I understand and appreciate that you are a little less agile than  I am lucky to be so I take your point.  However, we've only needed an extension ladder in 1 of 4 houses over 24 years here so I assumed many would also have access to their tinacos without a huge fuss.

Apologies to those who do not.

There are so many variables to take into consideration. Not everyone has an aljibe. Not everyone has a tinaco. Not everyone has both. Of all the homes I've lived in over the last 27 years in Mexico, only 1 had stair access to the roof... all the rest required an extension ladder. I don't actually mind going up the ladder but it would be really nice to have someone else in the house to call 911 if I fall off it. 

• Like 1