Chapala.com Webboard

Pay scale for maids

liquipure

11 hours ago, liquipure said:

With the resent worldwide inflation, anyone have comments on pay scale for domestic help? We always give an annual increase based on inflation. We are in the 62-70 pesos / hour range right now ( 2022).

That is low IMO, but I get slammed about this every time it comes up.

Our house cleaner has worked for us for about 4-years. We don't pay by the hour per se, rather by the visit. She is generally here 4-hours and we are up to $500/visit.

She started out at $300 and we have increased her pay every January.

This year, because of inflation, we gave her what would have been her Jan. 2023 increase in July.

Every time she receives an increase, she finds additional work to add to "mi trabajo".

I wouldn't consider paying her less.

• Like 4

Maids in the Chapala area are among the highest paid in Mexico. 

We just raised our maid to $400 a day and she works about 8 hours. She earns more than her sister in Guadalajara. 

$400 a day for 5 days is $2000 a week. over $8000 per month

To give you an idea of wages in the area....

Bank tellers in Chapala start at $9684 per month.

An HR Resources analyst $12000 per month 

Warehouse worker $8136 

Castores on the highway to GDL warehouse worker $2100 a week 10 hour shifts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

We just raised our maid to $400 a day and she works about 8 hours. 

$400 a day for 5 days is $2000 a week. over $8000 per month

So you are just paying her 50 pesos per hour? Wow, I hope she has other family members helping her with expenses.   That's approximately 413.00 per month U.S. and 560.00 Canadian.  IMO Really, really low.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryB said:

If you sign them up for IMSS the government will know they are paid workers and expect tax reporting. My bet is no one will want to sign up. VIVA the cash economy.!

My lady ( only once every 2 weeks) does NOT want to be signed up.... and she's told all her other clients the same.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 7:34 AM, handfaf said:

100 Pesos per hour in 2023    $7 Cdn   $5 US   +-      

This is neither the US or Canada. Only foreigners are paying the high rents, etc. I know some whose CFE bill is between 32 and 46 pesons. Comparisons with a NOB country is senseless. The maids who live in this area are the highest paid in Mexico.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

This is neither the US or Canada. Only foreigners are paying the high rents, etc. I know some whose CFE bill is between 32 and 46 pesons. Comparisons with a NOB country is senseless. The maids who live in this area are the highest paid in Mexico.

Do you have a link to the site showing the pay rates for maids all over Mexico? If not, can you share your source for this information?

2 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

The maids who live in this area are the highest paid in Mexico.

To my way of thinking, this is a good thing.

My husband and wife workers have been able to educate their children thanks to what they earn mainly from extranjeros and a few well to do tapatíos.

None of those educated children aspires to be a maid or a gardener.  They all have higher education as a goal, with professional occupations after that.

I refuse to pay people barely enough to survive.

• Like 5

Years ago, our maid started out at 400 pesos for 10 hours  (5 hours 2x/week) and now earns 700. Often, she'll stay longer until she feels satisfied the job is done. In return, we give her a snack and lunch. We also give her quite a few paid days off if we have an appointment and it falls on her cleaning day or she has a religious commitment, medical appointment, family obligation, etc. We never question it if she asks for a day off because she doesn't abuse it. We give a raise every January. While I really don't want to clean (ugh, ugh, and ugh!), if this law takes place, I may have to start. It's not because we can't pay, but I really don't want to get into the paperwork jungle that governments so love. JMHO

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, HarryB said:

hOW DID YOU MEET THE FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENCY?

We didn't come close and still wouldn't today.

However, anxious to immigrate (soon after Nov. 8, 2016) we had bought a house here in Chapala, sight unseen (I don't recommend this!) from Oregon.

When we went to the Tucson consulate (no appointment) on our way south. I was humble and explained in broken Spanglish that it was my deceased Mexican step mother's wish that we live in Mexico and I told them little things like I have two Mexican half brothers (never mind we don't speak!) in Mexico, and an American half brother married and living in Veracruz (never mind we don't speak!). I showed them the info on our house we had sold but not yet closed on, the house we had bought but not closed on here and basically begged to be given temporary residency. Mind you, my SS disability was the only income we could prove because my partner had been selling on ETSY and not much of that $ ever went into the bank. They went through their rule book, asked for another papel or two, and we were compliant, patient, and respectful throughout.

They finally told us to come back several hours later and when we returned I went in alone, while my partner waited in the van with our dogs, I said a silent prayer and asked mi madrastra to be with me. When I was called to the window the clerk asked where my partner was, and I replied "in the car waiting" and when she said they needed to get her finger prints and photo also, I burst into tears. They had granted us both temporary resident visas.

We have been here 6 years this month and we received our Permanente right on schedule. This has been a beautiful experience and while my partner has not assimilated quite as well as I have, we've been happy here. But as with most beautiful stories this one is coming to a close. We are both veterans and the biggest thing we have been missing here is our VA health care. We're experiencing some health issues that need to be addressed, so we are selling our home and returning to the USA. As always, we are leaving behind friends and acquaintances who have touched our lives and who will remain with us as fond memories.

The outstanding kindness of the Mexican people we have touched lives with while living here will be forever the one thing I will hold dearest. The fruit and veg vendor that always takes time to converse with me, so my Spanish improves poco a poco, the lady that sells pan in front of the Chapala mercado who is always busy and makes sure I don't get pushed to the back of the line, the owner of the little tienda where I buy my partner's favorite gum who has it for me when no one else seems to be capable of getting it, the family at Mario's in SAT who all greet us warmly and invite us into the kitchen to share what's cooking. The people walking down the street saying "buen dia" or "feliz año to two extranjeros whose hearts are blessed by this small kindness. Yes, we will miss mi Mexico, linda y querida.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Oh, Chapalence, I'm so sorry to read this. I know how much work you two did to make your house a home and the difference always leaves me in awe when I pass by. It's really frustrating that the US government doesn't do more for its veterans who live out-of-country since the health costs here are so much less (and better IMHO). May you have "fair winds and following seas" on the next step of your journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

hOW DID YOU MEET THE FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENCY?

Not that it is any of your business but there  are a lot of us who have been here a long time. We barely squeezed by the old requirements and system. When they first moved to the new immigration requirements we were grandfathered in if we applied for permanente then. We could never come close to qualifying today. We live comfortably and happily here — and are able to help those not as well off as we are.  

• Like 5

It is that so often we hear people complaining about how poor they are and can't afford to live here. It is truly a quandary how they got here in the first place. There are no safety nets so people should be forewarned.

When there is a financial disaster, the expat community shouldn't be expected to provide the bailout. Of course I am not referring to anyone specifically.

I reserve my charity work for the Mexican community.

26 minutes ago, HarryB said:

It is that so often we hear people complaining about how poor they are and can't afford to live here. It is truly a quandary how they got here in the first place. There are no safety nets so people should be forewarned.

When there is a financial disaster, the expat community shouldn't be expected to provide the bailout. Of course I am not referring to anyone specifically.

I reserve my charity work for the Mexican community.

I agree with you, Harry.

Sadly, there are people here who have been duped into believing their Medicare Advantage plans are good here or who see INSABI or IMSS as being similar to Medicaid or a basic insurance plan NOB. Not having hardly any time to research our move, we fall into this category.

Hardly a day goes by that I not informing people wanting to move here of the realities of a number of things, yet still they come.

We're fortunate the real estate market here is hot and the market NOB is soft, so we can do this.

Many others will die here without family or friends, all for a dream of cheaper living. 

• Like 1