Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone Else Fed Up With Walmart?

Natasha

Yesterday... for the umpteenth time..... ice cream in the   long freezers more like a milkshake than well frozen.  Have already had this discussion with WM several times including the "jefe" of that section who brought out a "sensing" device and agreed....yup, we'll have to fix that.  Not.

Then once again,  new self-serve checkouts not accepting cash tho' overhead sign says differently. Excuse?  We don't have any change.  But this time a worse situation. Not only did the machines not have change, the cashiers ( all THREE of them and a store full of people with heavily laden carts) didn't either. In the old folks line, there was a foreign couple patiently waiting who'd already paid...... but there was no change and they told people 3 ahead of me they'd been waiting one-half hour for same. 🥺

Next lady went thru---- her bill was $2005.  She managed $2004 after  coin search.... but cashier didn't have the sense to say GO!!  One more peso found.  Next lady came very  close, just over her total.  I managed to do the same.  (both between $240 and $280)   Apparently that finally gave enough to satisfy the patient people's need.     

Told a "management-type" at the service  (huh??) desk this is highly intolerable, and is not new to this store.  He agreed ( easy for him to say......jajajaj) and said it was because of the  scheduled deliveries of armoured cars from Guad. I suggested they'd better make a change to those schedules!!  But if I'm the only voice in the wilderness, it's like one star in all the galaxies.  So if YOU don't like the "service" and general attitudes there lately, please join this one-woman choir!!!  

• Thanks 1

I go twice a month to Walmart. Each time there is some obstacle to overcome.  I look at it that I was inconvenienced for about 15 minutes that day. I can handle that 2 times a month.   Soriana is our main source of groceries as we live closer to it.  There are inconveniences there too, but not as much as Wally World.  What can't be cured must be endured!

• Like 1

I shop elsewhere

Have to be too vigilant to ward off pickpockets

One attempt was foiled...one was not...loss one watch

Cashier problems...changing money amounts(the quick switch asking for exact change after receiving  larger bill with my payment)

and 'failing' to return my larger bill which I had originally provided for payment...

Security is a challenge..and little follow up.

AND the parking area is a hazard with much thievery.

12 minutes ago, Tingting said:

And let's not even get into the fact that they stock the shelves during normal business hours...  Is there ever a time when you don't have to dodge the staff who are blocking the aisles and seem angry that you actually want to shop?

These days this is the norm everywhere I shop, both in Colorado and also where I am in Florida. But I haven't run across any 'angry' staff. Just doing their job seems to me. 

Have not set foot in Wallmart for probably over 7 years. I use to go to Soriana to buy coffee but now buy it on Mercado Libre. I go to Pancho's maybe every 4 months when I need a hit of Salami and cheddar cheese. Living in an all Mexican neighborhood everything is in walking distance and at much better prices (yes I go to Costco about every 5 months but mainly for stuff for my golden retriever). Also, the need for a Home Depot in this area is puzzling since in Chapala anyway there is a hardware store about every other block. Happy New years 😊 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

If I were you I would vote with my feet and patronize Soriana. Their ice cream is always very cold. 

.... and if I didn't live in far west Ajjiic (which would make Soriana a nightmare to/from), I might do that too.  I actually don't buy much there at all.... but there a very few items / brands that I can't duplicate elsewhere so incorporate them into my "east" chores each Tuesday.                                      

However...... there MAY be light at the end of the tunnel. (Don't anyone hold their breath). I had also lodged a phone complaint (800 number) Dec 26 in the evening.. SUPER  nice and understanding lady took all down, relevant contact info etc, gave me a report number and said "if you don't hear from someone in 72 hours get back to us with this report # and we'll push it up the chain".  In my mind..... yeah, sure.   (Funniest part of this entire conversation was her difficulty even finding this insignificant store listing in their massive chain)

But today at 10:15 a VERY nice man from the local store called, and we talked at length about the freezers and the change issues. He said he will definitely do something about the freezer situation and monitor it (I have his cell ph number now if he doesn't) and explained the change issue has a lot to do with BANKS who are being very difficult in the last while in providing sufficient, especially coin.  Can't prove it by me one way or the other......  but my reply was "I understand banks think they are kings. But WM Mx is a pretty big dog too, so it's time for them to step and and demand better".

And yes, you needed Spanish for both conversations.    Vamos a ver...............

4 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Also, the need for a Home Depot in this area is puzzling since in Chapala anyway there is a hardware store about every other block. Happy New years 😊 

What do you know that I don't?  (Agree worst case scenario for every ferreteria Lakeside)

5 hours ago, asilvam said:

I ordered online delivery, The driver says all is in order, I pay the amount, have driver keep change, lately there is always one item missing, soo from now on I will check items l ordered and then pay if all there...

I give trust when it is earned, never before !

In my 25 years at Lakeside, I have learned that most employees of a business, such as Walmart, do not care if you buy anything or not. They will still get their weekly salary. If you question them and tell them of faults, they will just shrug and agree with you.  I find you have 2 choices, really; (1) just accept it, or (2) move on.

4 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Have not set foot in Wallmart for probably over 7 years. I use to go to Soriana to buy coffee but now buy it on Mercado Libre. I go to Pancho's maybe every 4 months when I need a hit of Salami and cheddar cheese. Living in an all Mexican neighborhood everything is in walking distance and at much better prices (yes I go to Costco about every 5 months but mainly for stuff for my golden retriever). Also, the need for a Home Depot in this area is puzzling since in Chapala anyway there is a hardware store about every other block. Happy New years 😊 

I just read that Mercado  Libre is one of the most hacked businesses in Mexico. Latest hack compromised over 300,000 customers information.

7 minutes ago, Hud said:

In my 25 years at Lakeside, I have learned that most employees of a business, such as Walmart, do not care if you buy anything or not. They will still get their weekly salary. If you question them and tell them of faults, they will just shrug and agree with you.  I find you have 2 choices, really; (1) just accept it, or (2) move on.

We have many memes that we have used after living in MX for 24 years that are apropos for customer service ( I will admit this applies to customer service nob too). 

1) you'd have to care and 2), you'd have to want to make money.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RickS said:

These days this is the norm everywhere I shop, both in Colorado and also where I am in Florida. But I haven't run across any 'angry' staff. Just doing their job seems to me. 

I'm glad your experiences have been different, but mine have been about 50/50. A lot of the stockers get that "bored/disinterested/angsty-teen" look on their faces when you actually try to go down an aisle where they're stocking--always during business hours and always with crap spread out all over the place.  I'm polite. I say "excuse me," etc, but it doesn't matter. I get the impression that many are unhappy working there. Then again, it's Wally's World, so enough said. 

I will give WM one big "attaboy" for bringing in new items on test runs. There is a particular item that showed up one the shelves one day (four or five) and I bought them all. The next time I went, there were none, but just a few days later, the item was fully stocked and at a very competitive price. I've noticed this with a couple of other items. So, I have to be fair and say it's not all doom and gloom. 

FWIW, I prefer to go to Soriana's whenever possible. The biggest downside is that the selection is so much less. The upside is the folks there are friendly. 

I have never had any reason to shop at Walmart here. I had too many bad experiences and heard too many horror stories about the quality of their products NOB. I have no reason to think things are any different in Mexico. Possibly worse - a manufacturer that produces items for Walmart US is caught with an adulterated product and banned by the FTC, do you really think Walmart stops buying from them? No, they just sell the product in a country with less oversite. Items from Walmart are NOT the same as a similar item bought elsewhere. They look the same, but are made for Walmart more cheaply and with less quality control. 

There are too many other options for getting what I need at smaller local stores and markets to ever buy from Walmart. 

• Like 2