Chapala.com Webboard

Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy?

elevator

15 hours ago, elevator said:

. Need it for my shoulder. Guess I'll ask my Orthopedist here.

1.  NEED or think you want???    2.  By all means ask your doctor.... not unqualified tho' well-meaning friends and this board.   3.  I just googled it extensively....... certainly would not me something I'd decide to do without good reason from doctor with successful referrals I could check.

• Like 1

PRP and Stem Cells have been discussed here a bunch over the last 3 years. Neither are a panacea for all ailments and, IMO, neither should be used without a thorough investigation into the provider AND the intended use. 

In addition, one cannot just 'inject' either into the 'general' area of concern... like 'a shoulder' ... but in all the uses that I am aware of should be directed by real time fluoroscopy.  This is NOT a 'point and shoot' kind of treatment although I am sure there are some providers who will argue this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've done the research and know all about the how and why. I've had two knees replaced and one ankle. I walk 18 holes 3 times a week. My shoulder needs replacing, but I'm not gonna think about it till I can't swing a club. I've had cortisone and it helps for a while, but has some negatives. Two good friends in the states had PRP with very good results.

So no, I don't plan on getting a point and shoot from a quack, My post was to inquire if anyone knew a reputable provider. Guess not.

• 1 year later...

Reviving a thread from Dec 2022. I had successful Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatment NOB several years ago. I re-aggravated the injury recently and would like to see if the same treatment might work again. As @RickS mentioned in his response from December 28, 2022, “in all the uses that I am aware of should be directed by real time fluoroscopy.” I contacted my local Dr who does offer the treatment, but does not use fluoroscopy or some form of imaging technology. Any local doctors you can recommend that use some form of imaging technology/fluoroscopy to place the plasma in the correction location?  Thanks.

With the caveat that I have never seen this Dra for anything.... Dra Justina Jimenez at Clinica de Rehabilitacion Intergral... just past Ives restaurant and Dental Express.... has been mentioned many times on this Board as being knowledgable of PRP (and stem cells in general). Maybe a consultation appointment with her could help you in your quest.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Think Dra Justina Lopez primarily uses stems cells, and have heard good success for knees, especially.  Her number is 376-766-5563.

Regarding PRP's , which is totally different from stem cell therapy, I had it done in my back about 8 yrs ago and it bought me about 3-4 months of comfort and that was about it.  It was with a doctor in Guad, at Salutaris Medical Center, but I would not recommend him.  

However, he did not use any imaging or fluoroscope, which I think would have a higher success rate.  My sister had that type of PRP for torn miniscus up in the States and it has really worked for her.  So, I think a targeted use of PRP with the above mentioned targeting tools might work better.    

• Like 1