Chapala.com Webboard

La Letra Ch

Tingting

And the verdict is...

I'm not sure.

I've gone to LLCh twice. The first time was with a friend and it was phenomenal. The food was great, the prices were reasonable, and the service was good. I liked it so much that I decided to bring hubs to try it. Well, it wasn't good. While it wasn't exactly bad, if it had been my first time, I would never have returned. The waiter tried, but he seemed flustered. There weren't so many patrons that he couldn't keep up; he just couldn't handle our order. Why? I have no idea. It wasn't complicated. Our soup was barely lukewarm. Hubs's meat dish was tough and he had to really saw to cut it up. My dish arrived with fries when I asked for a salad. The fries that they brought were a mix of fresh and refried -- a major no-no (the refrieds always make me wonder if they were taken off of someone else's plate, recooked, and then tossed onto ours). My order was clearly forgotten as hubs got his and mine didn't show up for another 10 mins or so and the waiter couldn't look at me as he delivered it. He knew he screwed up and forgot to put my order in. It was a basic dish, nothing special, but our meals should have been together. FWIW, mine was actually quite tasty. I had ordered a dish for takeaway and that never came. There were other problems, but these were the worst.

I'm keeping the specifics a bit vague because I'd like to give the place another chance without it being too obvious. Hopefully, our experience just happened on an off day, but if my next visit is as bad, then I'll know my first amazing meal was a miracle, not the norm.

• Sad 1

Thanks for sharing, Tingting.

I will keep it short and just share that we have given Letra Ch as many chances as we care to.

On our last visit, I ordered a Mojito which I had enjoyed on a previous visit. Upon first glance I could see something was amiss, so I took just a wee sip. Bleck!! Not wanting to cause a scene, I walked to the bar, drink in hand. I quietly expressed that this was not a Mojito, but that it tasted like mouth wash. The bartender defended her mix stating that in the absence of fresh mint she had substituted cream de menthe. Oh, dear baby cheesus, no!

We don't imbibe any longer, nor do we plan to revisit the sometimes alright and sometimes almost inedible food.

What a shame.

• Like 1

I always like Letra Ch. Haven’t eaten there in a year, but ordered their wonderful salmon mousse for takeout ( to serve at a party). When I opened the container, it didn’t look right, kind of oily. I was thinking not salmon but red trout? Some of my guests who are familiar with Letra Ch also felt it wasn’t the same— both texture and taste.

Probably willing to give them another try as we really liked them, but this week, salmon mousse disappointed.

On 12/20/2022 at 8:48 AM, Tingting said:

And the verdict is...

I'm not sure.

I've gone to LLCh twice. The first time was with a friend and it was phenomenal. The food was great, the prices were reasonable, and the service was good. I liked it so much that I decided to bring hubs to try it. Well, it wasn't good. While it wasn't exactly bad, if it had been my first time, I would never have returned. The waiter tried, but he seemed flustered. There weren't so many patrons that he couldn't keep up; he just couldn't handle our order. Why? I have no idea. It wasn't complicated. Our soup was barely lukewarm. Hubs's meat dish was tough and he had to really saw to cut it up. My dish arrived with fries when I asked for a salad. The fries that they brought were a mix of fresh and refried -- a major no-no (the refrieds always make me wonder if they were taken off of someone else's plate, recooked, and then tossed onto ours). My order was clearly forgotten as hubs got his and mine didn't show up for another 10 mins or so and the waiter couldn't look at me as he delivered it. He knew he screwed up and forgot to put my order in. It was a basic dish, nothing special, but our meals should have been together. FWIW, mine was actually quite tasty. I had ordered a dish for takeaway and that never came. There were other problems, but these were the worst.

I'm keeping the specifics a bit vague because I'd like to give the place another chance without it being too obvious. Hopefully, our experience just happened on an off day, but if my next visit is as bad, then I'll know my first amazing meal was a miracle, not the norm.

FWIW, We have eaten at fairly nice restaurants in Guadalajara and have been served bread with lipstick on a piece,and a thumb imprint on the bottom; chips with a bite out and lipstick marks; salsa with pieces of chips in it, etc.  So, do Mexican restaurants use food to serve you that  other people have had on their table? Absolutely !!! 

• Sad 1