Chapala.com Webboard

Cell Phone Question from Your Favorite Tech Dummy

Natasha

Unless the 'Canadian' part has different rules, then I say yes, OK.  My wife and I have different cellphones, on the same T-Mobile account in the US that switches to Telcel while in Mexico. We 'can' call each other while both in Mexico. As I recall we have to use the Country Code also, like we are calling someone in the US (as the numbers have a US area code). 

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Thanks Rick..... but a Canadian friend who saw this (banned here for ???) sent me an email, and the answer is no!  Apparently at least one will get "roaming" charges that add up in a huge hurry.  So I'll make other arrangements.  Gracias

You could use your phone and another phone since our calls are free. Does your husband have a phone?  

Curious.... do 'we' know what carrier here in Mexico their Canadian phone will be using? Automatically?  Than why won't they be able to talk?

mostly, yes of course they will be roaming BUT... when I am in Mexico with my US T-Mobile phone it changes automatically to Telcel. Roaming. But with their 'pact' there are no roaming charges.   Even has data. How can we know whether or not they can talk if we don't know who they use in Canada and whether or not that company has a 'pact' with Telcel or ? while in Mexico?

54 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

based on the OP's original questions both cell phones would be roaming.  Both would be charged roaming fees. The simplest is download whatsapp, connect to hotel or restaurant, or any public wifi and call each other using whatsapp thus no charges.  Voice & video calls are both free to make and receive

You're right ML. And since at least one of them doesn't have (or want?) whatsapp..... dead in the water.  But I have a solution that will work. Thanks to all.

20 minutes ago, RickS said:

Curious.... do 'we' know what carrier here in Mexico their Canadian phone will be using? Automatically? 

One for sure will NOT use a carrier in Mexico at all. She has no "plan" to call outside Canada.  Anything past that and we are, as you well know buddy, beyond my pay grade 🤣

As soon as you use your Canadian cell phone number when in Mexico, you are charged $14.00 a day as a daily rate - even with "roaming" turned off. Even if you are just receiving a text with a code to verify an account - no way around it and it is, as far as I know, a universal policy with all the companies offering cell phone plans in Canada.  This policy is a fairly new and certainly has caught many people I know unawares. There is an upside to it - like if you want to pay the $14.00, I think you get some benefits if you need your phone all day for Canadian texts but I haven't investigated so not sure how it works -  just sharing my own experience. 

• Thanks 1

Tell your friends to activate "wifi calling" feature offerred by rogers and bell Canada. It allows a cell phone to operate through wifi rather than cellular networks, and does not require roaming fees anywhere in the world. You get to use your phone normally, call and texting through wifi. But you must have access to wifi. Alternative: free voip numbers through Fongo.

• Thanks 1