Chapala.com Webboard

Mercado Libre

The funds are now in your Mercadopago account. (it's similar to Paypal)  You can use the funds to buy something else if you wish, To access Mercadopago you need to have the app on your phone, and then you will need to verify your identity, thus a picture of your passport. 

When you have a Mercadopago account you request a debit card (free) and use it to pay anywhere a debit card is accepted. Or transfer the funds to a Mexican bank account. 

In the future you might find it easier to use a credit or debit card to make your purchases. 

• Like 1

This probably won't help, but...when I had to return a purchase and received credit, I just used it on my next purchase. If I remember correctly, it was nearly automatic. Is there anything else you can purchase to use it?

ETA:  wow, this hit nearly at the same time as MostlyLost. Guess great minds DO think alike! (lol) 

I use ML all the time and always pay cash.  When I had a credit balance recently, when making next purchase,  I simply clicked on "use Mercadopago" when it          asked ( desktop) how I wanted to pay. The credit was more than the new purchase, so they simply carried it forward to next one.... and then I applied that                   credit plus paid the rest at Oxxo.

I NEVER do transactions on my phone and no way they are getting pictures of documents of any kind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

So no pictures of ID = No bank account, No drivers license, No resident card, No CFE account, No Telmex account, No home purchase,  etc.

Mercadolibre with over 2.6 Billion dollars in sales last year has a value of over 45 Billion dollars. and is incorporated in the United States

Mercadopago  just like Paypal, or your bank requires identification to validate who you are. 

The Mercadopago app is extremely secure. It works the same way a banking app does, and actually has more security levels than a Bank of America app from the USA.

• Thanks 2

I use my BBVA electronic debit card (security number is only valid for 5 minutes) and never had a problem. I probably purchased over 100 times ranging from coffee, poop bags to tools. I also have a credit with them that I can use for future orders. (basically, I have no need for Walmart or Soriana). Forgot to mention that most orders arrive the next day. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoneyBee said:

I use my BBVA electronic debit card (security number is only valid for 5 minutes) and never had a problem. I probably purchased over 100 times ranging from coffee, poop bags to tools. I also have a credit with them that I can use for future orders. (basically, I have no need for Walmart or Soriana). Forgot to mention that most orders arrive the next day. 😊

I just received one of my BP meds that I ordered through ML. Cheaper by half than buying them on a Monday from Similares. I pay using my BBVA credit card and I have never had anything remotely resembling an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

So no pictures of ID = No bank account, No drivers license, No resident card, No CFE account, No Telmex account, No home purchase,  etc.

Not what I meant. Of course there are pix on INE, DL, and at Intercam. Have Totalpay so no CFE or Telmex required. Never other than a renter. All I meant was with ML,    I only purchase via desktop and pay in cash.... so they've never requested any foto ID of any kind.  

I have a HUGE personal problem with accepting any financial transaction done with a cell phone ( security) so I simply don't do them.

• Like 2

No you don't need an ID to purchase on Mercadolibre. 

If you want fully access a Mercadopago account and all it's benefits you do need to verify your identity. Just like opening a bank account. 

I have received many benefits using the app to pay for services at a discount. Right now pay using the app QR code at Soriana and get $80 discount, 7-Eleven $40. New offers all the time.  

But not trusting an app is fine. Each to his own...... My sister won't trust paperless billing, and mails a check  instead of paying online. However she has tictoc which is Chinese spyware on her phone... go figure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

But not trusting an app is fine. Each to his own...... My sister won't trust paperless billing, and mails a check  instead of paying online. However she has tictoc which is Chinese spyware on her phone... go figure

JAJAJAJAJAJA  What I don't trust is CELL PHONES (tho' I do use whatsapp) ....... and I don't pay anything on line either.  Everything  is CASH for me.  I'm with your sister.... except for the TikTok of course   😃  Being older than dirt will do that to you.........

• Like 1

I have a ML account with no ID given as well as 3 Paypal accounts, one of them business with no ID ever submitted; only bank and credit card verification. When I first attempted to sign up with ML they tried getting me to download a photo from my laptop by allowing access but I have no functioning camera. I then spent an hour trying to cancel the process to no avail. I received no response to requested help. IMO ML is shooting themselves in the foot with this process, compared to using Paypal or purchasing on Amazon. They are also denying many customers who are arthritic or disabled, thus unable to do the photo upload.

Thanks to advice from Natasha, I simply used another browser, hit the purchase now button, instead of registering first; then registered over again, paid at OXXO and got my purchase - no ID required.

As I stated you do not need an ID to buy from Mercadolibre.   

I was discussing the ID requirement for Mercadopago which is needed if you wish to receive money from Mercadolibre. 

I too have Paypal accounts. In the USA for over 25 years, and in Mexico for about 10 years.

Recently I helped a relative in the USA sell some items on eBay receiving the funds in Paypal. This account has been linked to my US bank for all those years and active for purchases every year.  Many years ago I sold items on eBay using Paypal and received funds with no problem.  Things have changed.... I needed to verify my identity to receive funds including uploading a photo ID to Paypal before I could transfer funds to my account. 

Now Paypal will report and income over $600 a year to the IRS.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

As I stated you do not need an ID to buy from Mercadolibre.   

I was discussing the ID requirement for Mercadopago.

I too have Paypal accounts. In the USA for over 20 years, and in Mexico for about 10 years.

Recently I was in the US and helped a relative sell some items on eBay receiving the funds in Paypal. First time I had done this in 15+ years, and Paypal required a lot of information before they would let me transfer the money to a bank account. That included verifications that were able to access credit bureau to verify my identity. 

Huh, that's unusual; for me anyway. I use paypal to transfer funds between countries and bank accounts as well as sell items quite consistently. Perhaps this is due to having a business account for many years. I confess to not really knowing what Mercadopago is, however I can hold a credit on Mercadolibre with the type of registration I initiated. If I had to do a live photo as they requested for the other registration, I simply would be unable and they would not have me as a customer.

I presently have a complaint submitted to the ADA regarding the practices of some of the contracted ID verification companies which do not provide an alternative upload, besides live camera, to persons with disabilities, like a saved or scanned photo. Think Stephen Hawking being confronted with this. 

3 minutes ago, RickS said:

... and don't try to drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st Century she said. 😎

Yup she did... and she MEANT it  🤣🤣🤣  Learning "tech" is worse for me than colonoscopy without anaesthetics. (Been there..... never doing it again)

Ask me to learn another language (as long as Roman alphabet) and I'll  love every (sometimes) tortuous minute.  Eye of the beholder?