Chapala.com Webboard

Laws concerning vehicle

Ollie

If you do not return in time to exit Mexico with the car while your 6 month visa is in still effect then....

The legal answer is yes. Your car permit (TIP) is tied to your visa.  Your insurance on the vehicle requires that it be in Mexico legally so the day your TIP expires your insurance is invalid and you will have lost your deposit. 

Mostly, your answer is unclear to me....   'In the past' a TIP was 'tied' to a Visa/Tourist Card. IF the owner left Mexico AND turned in their Tourist Card they HAD to have the car with them and cancel both card and TIP... getting the deposit back.

If they just did not stop I guess they could come back in... no harm no foul.  If they leave with someone else they had better not try and turn in their Tourist Card with a TIP tied to it asTHAT is not allowed. 

28 minutes ago, Ollie said:

I really don't care about the money  I paid for the car permit, I just need to know if I don't have the car exit Mexico do they care about that?

Thanks,

Of course they care...If you don't take it out of Mexico before the TIP expires, your vehicle is in Mexico illegally.

Your insurance is invalid, you forfeit your deposit, and if you are in an accident be prepared for your vehicle to be impounded, (towing and storage fees while you get the proper permits to remove it from Mexico) plus a very large fine and a possible night in jail.  

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

I really don't care about the money  I paid for the car permit, I just need to know if I don't have the car exit Mexico do they care about that?

Thanks,

Ollie, yes you paid a small paperwork fee for the TIP. That will never be reimbursed. BUT, did you not also put a $400 deposit on a credit card... or even pay cash?  It's an incentive for one to actually remove the car from Mexico on time. That's not a minor expense for most of us.  If one leaves and cancels their TIP within the 180 days, this deposit will be returned to your credit card. If one doesn't cancel within the 180, that $400 is retained by Mexico never to be seen again. 

3 hours ago, Ollie said:

Yes, I did put $400 on my credit card.

When does your TIP expire and do you plan on driving your car out of mexico before that, or not?

• Like 1

Wasn't clear to me that they were wanting to leave and NOT come back into Mexico before their 180 day Tourist Card expired. IF this is true.... not come back in, pick up the car and leave within the 180 days....  then yes their car will be, after 180 days, considered here illegally and will loose the $400. IF they are just leaving for a while but plan on coming back before 180 and then take the car out within the 180 days, then the concerns/comments that I had are still relevant.

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Read the OP's posts. They were asking if they could leave Mexico after 5 months on a 180 day visa and leave their car here. 

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Read the OP's posts. They were asking if they could leave Mexico after 5 months on a 180 day visa and leave their car here. 

They can go for most of that other month, not turn in their Fmm and use it to return before it expires, and drive that car out of Mexico on time. Failure to take it out on time puts them at risk of possibly losing their car 

7 minutes ago, Hud said:

They can go for most of that other month, not turn in their Fmm and use it to return before it expires, and drive that car out of Mexico on time. Failure to take it out on time

puts them at risk of possibly losing their car

This was explained in my earlier post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ollie  You keep asking and the answer is always the same  You have a 180 day TIP for the car tied to your tourist visa(FMM) 

If you don't take the car out of Mexico before the TIP expires on February 4th, your vehicle is in Mexico illegally. This is not a grey area.

On February 5th your insurance is invalid, you forfeit your deposit ($400 as you stated) and if you are in an accident be prepared for your vehicle to be impounded, (towing and storage fees while you get the proper permits to remove it from Mexico) plus a very large fine and a possible night in jail.  

51 minutes ago, Ollie said:

It expires on February 4, 2023.

That is the question do I have to take the car out of Mexico, because we are leaving to US with friends and the are driving us with them.

Thank you,

You need to take the car out of Mexico by Feb. 4. You can go with your friends, but  must return in time to take it out. But, if you go with your friends, DO NOT turn in your FMM at the Border, as you need that when driving your car out and also when returning to Mexico to get the car. Failure to take it out by Feb, 4  will open you up to lots of possibly Bad things that (let me assure you)you do NOT want to experience in Mexico. Mexico can be a country you don't want to mess with.   Good luck.

Ollie, it can't be made any more clear that what Hud just posted for you.  Do it any other way and you may suffer the consequences.

NOTE:  Hud talked about your "FMM".  This is also known as a Tourist Visa (FMM is the form name). It is the document that you have that is probably marked as having 180 days to stay in Mexico. When you leave with the vehicle.... which must be before Feb. 4, 2023.... at the the border you will/must go to the area at the border that has a 'station' where you turn in/cancel your TIP.  You must have the original TIP paperwork for this when you get there. This process will ensure that you also get your $400 back onto your credit card. Then after you get that TIP cancelled, go into the Immigrations office and turn in/cancel your FMM/Tourist Card.