Chapala.com Webboard

6 month service for a generator

Tingting

36 minutes ago, Tingting said:

Can anyone recommend a local person for a generator service? We used the same guy for years, but he's no longer in the picture (on the coast). It's the standard filter and oil change for a large Briggs & Stratton whole-house generator. TIA 

Maybe the local folks who do you car servicing...if you have a car??

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Tingting said:

It is a GENERATOR for a HOUSE, but hey...next time you need a doctor, see your vet. After all, it's just another type of animal.

Not quite sure why you should reply the way you did! You mentioned it was a  Gas engine, needing a Standard  filter and oil..I see no reason for a brain surgeon,  a regular  mechanic will do ok

• Sad 3

•  
  •  
We have a Briggs & Stratton propane generator, model 310000. This was installed in November 2012 and money well spent. Like a solar system, it has paid for itself over time. When the grid goes down the generator will kick in within a matter of seconds. It provides power to the entire house and shuts down around 30 seconds after power from the grid returns. All electrical appliances such as televisons, freezer, fridge freezer and computers run as normal. The generator is serviced twice a year and we use a qualified Briggs & Stratton mechanic, based in Guadalajara. His name is Daniel Rodante, Cell: 33 1862 3086. He does not speak English but could point you in the right direction. In fact, he is due to service the unit early in January 2022. Good luck.
  •  
The above from this thread last December... 
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ferret said:

Lakeside7, she did NOT mention that it was a GAS generator. And it happens to be a whole house PROPANE generator. You just put your other foot in your mouth.

I am not sure why you want to be so snarky. But whilst you are butting in, what is so "special " about replacing a "std" oil filter and oil change.?

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Not quite sure why you should reply the way you did! You mentioned it was a  Gas engine, needing a Standard  filter and oil..I see no reason for a brain surgeon,  a regular  mechanic will do ok

Sigh...as has been pointed out, I did NOT mention it was a gas engine just that it needed  a "standard" filter and oil. ETA:  By that, I mean for a GENERATOR. Next, this is a WHOLE HOUSE generator (which WAS mentioned) and now I will also add that since it's a WHOLE HOUSE generator, it's permanently attached and LARGE. Oh, and propane as someone with actual knowledge pointed out.

For me, the snarky comment was well-deserved. When you insist on responding to a question that is clearly out of your depth, you continue head-first and look foolish. Perhaps the vet wasn't so off-target, after all?

For Ferret who gave a solid response and a point-on comment:  unfortunately, Daniel Rodante is the one who let us down. Great guy, but instead of saying that he was no longer servicing generators in our area (he came in from Guad) or that he's moved, or has a new job or....he chose to just keep stringing us along. I still think very highly of him, but I'm truly disappointed. 

For Bueno:  Thank you for the name! I'll give him a call. Even if he doesn't service B&S, he may know of someone. 

For Rick:  I ran out of emojiis (again!), so thank you.

Some thoughts about this Thread....

- The OP clearly was asking for recommendations for someone to come service a large Briggs & Stratton whole-house generator

- The OP did NOT ask for options or how he/she might do it themselves or they probably would have asked THAT question instead

- Large Briggs & Stratton generators require oil and air filters not normally found at AutoZone nor Walmart. The large engines do not normally have an oil drain as such, requiring the sump to be evacuated by a pump... something a vehicle mechanic doesn't normally do

- 6 month service calls on specialized equipment like a whole-house generator ALSO test other components of the system to make sure 'all will be well when the unit is asked to perform in a power failure situation'.  Car mechanics are surely not versed in this part of a service call for a whole house generator

- While it is common for folks here to recommend stuff not asked for, belaboring the point after giving their input generally is not necessary nor valuable to the OP. Only to the Poster. 

Amen 🙏

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Some thoughts about dis Thread....

- The OP clearly was asking for recommendations for someone to come service a large Briggs & Stratton whole-house generator

- The OP did NOT ask for options or how he/she might do it themselves or they probably would of asked THAT question instead

- Large Briggs & Stratton generators require oil and air filters not normally found at AutoZone nor Walmart. The large engines do not normally have an oil drain as such, requiring the sump to be evacuated by a pump... something a vehicle mechanic doesn't normally do

- 6 month service calls on specialized equipment like a whole-house generator ALSO test other components of teh system to make sure 'all will be well when teh unit is asked to perform in a power failure situation'.  Car mechanics are surely not versed in this part of a service call for a whole house generator

- While it is common for folks here to recommend stuff not asked for, belaboring teh point after giving their input generally is not necessary nor valuable to teh OP. Only to teh Poster. 

Amen 🙏

My Dear Rick, Maybe where you are located, live, NOB there dozens of B&S service engineers jus dying to coming out to your location...However as the OP said he was unable to get hold of the authorized service agent to perform the service...In an emergency, rather than not being able to carry out a scheduled service by a B&S agent..I suggest a possible alternative. Why does this seems to attract your personal rebuke? 

Many time car owners prefer not to take their cars into a "authorized" dealer for and oil and filter change. Do you know from certain that the oil needs to be pumped out..I do not think it is a "large engine", yes bigger that their lawn mower motors, but not as big as a Cummins Engine!

If there is a certainly in Mexico you will always find a Mexican with ingenuity  to fix any problem.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, lakeside7 said:

My Dear Rick, Maybe where you are located, live, NOB there dozens of B&S service engineers jus dying to coming out to your location...However as the OP said he was unable to get hold of the authorized service agent to perform the service...In an emergency, rather than not being able to carry out a scheduled service by a B&S agent..I suggest a possible alternative. Why does this seems to attract your personal rebuke? 

Many time car owners prefer not to take their cars into a "authorized" dealer for and oil and filter change. Do you know from certain that the oil needs to be pumped out..I do not think it is a "large engine", yes bigger that their lawn mower motors, but not as big as a Cummins Engine!

If there is a certainly in Mexico you will always find a Mexican with ingenuity  to fix any problem.

Why do we have OP (couch potatoes) whose job in life is to proof read every posting, but not offer any possible alternative solutions, but critic others suggestions???

• Confused 3

OK, this is really beating the poor horse to death, but I did not say anything about an authorized service agent. PLEASE READ WHAT I ACTUALLY WROTE. I stated that the guy we used to use was no longer available. It is NOT an emergency, but I was asking if anyone had recommendations. Period. I would never recommend a car mechanic for a generator, especially for a whole house generator as the size alone would make that impossible...not to mention that it is also permanently in place and the size of a small pony. In fact, it IS larger than many Cummins engines (I looked them up). So...maybe you should leave the comments to those that are actually qualified to comment?

I realize that when folks comment here, it's usually to help or offer ideas; however, they usually have a general understanding of the posting they're commenting on, or at least are familiar enough that their suggestion isn't too far off. In this case, no. I will go back to my vet recommendation and leave it at that.

Oh, and not that it matters, but "he" (the OP) is a "she."

On 12/10/2022 at 7:03 AM, timjwilson said:

For what it's worth, we service my diesel 7 KW generator ourselves; buy the oil at Autozone and get the filter from Amazon. With a propane rig there may be more to servicing like spark plug/wire replacement. 

Yeah, with the propane and the connection, neither of us feel comfortable enough to do it. Murphy's Law is almost guaranteed in this case!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tingting said:

Yeah, with the propane and the connection, neither of us feel comfortable enough to do it. Murphy's Law is almost guaranteed in this case!

Is it still under warranty? If not and you do not need a B&S certified tech then you could ask Michael Merryman for the contact Pedro used. satelites2002@prodigy.net.mx Someone may have a better contact.