Chapala.com Webboard

Traffic issues

I drive between Ajijic and Chapala. Most often early in the morning there is no problem but by ten or 11AM the roads can get fairly crowded> But its, not the end of the world. The traffic doesn't stop. But on a bad day things might slow down to the 20s or 30s. That is just my experience. I would love to hear what others experience :) 

• Confused 2

Traffic, temperature and water pressure are all relative, lol.  I think if one is new to the area and traffic is “as is”, it probably doesn’t seem like a big deal.  For those who’ve been here longer/longish they most likely notice the increase in travel time.   Not for nothing, but the installation of the bike path seems to have had a big impact on the flow of traffic.  I think the bike path is a great addition to lakeside but it does come with trade offs.  What would once take me 10 minutes for 3kms now can take up to 30 minutes in peak traffic times.  A friend who lives in Chapala centro and works in west Ajijic says it takes him 40 minutes to get to work at noon time and 10-15 minutes to get home from work in the evenings after 8pm. 

39 minutes ago, johanson said:

The traffic doesn't stop. But on a bad day things might slow down to the 20s or 30s.  :) 

Sorry Pete....... often on leaving Villa Nova to head east traffic is at a DEAD stop way west of our exit/entrance.  Same coming this way many parts of the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lakeside, I was just talking about the limited places I drove which would be from the most westerly light in Ajijic, East toward Chapala and back. You know maybe going to the animal shelter or Walmart or to breakfast in and around Ajijic. So I am sure many of you, lakeside, of course will have different driving experiences than I.

I just know, that if I want to get somewhere fast, early morning or early evening is much better than the middle of the day.

• Like 1

Timing is everything... Going from Rancho del Oro to Chapala can take 25 minutes or an hour depending on the time of day... I have found that leaving at 8:25am will get you there in a short time even on market day... Coming back around noon one should pack a lunch...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

I have notice in central  chapala  the  new roadwork  in just 2 blocks on the semi finish side they have eliminated  approx. 6 to 8 parking  spaces  and at the main intersection  they have made so narrow  that buses  will be lucky to navigate a turn going  west, Amazing design  just my 2 cents 

The joke in my family is traffic engineers in Mexico don't earn enough to buy a car and don't drive. 

• Haha 3

This is a never ending topic for us to discuss.  I would synchronize the street lights in front of Walmart, SuperLake, Panino first.  I would also do something like lakeside7 suggested.  One way traffic on main road and divert the other way traffic to a side street.  Perhaps remove all parking spaces in that area and convert a couple of lots to parking spaces.  Perfect solution, IMO would be a bridge over or around the entire area from GDL farmacia by Actinver to Waffle house so there is a bypass for those not wanting or needing to visit any businesses in that area.  

Perhaps by 2030 someone in the planning department will require that all buildings provide parking for X number of cars based on occupancy... Now for another shot of Tequilla to make that one work...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

Just wondering if there's a solution for this problem ................. 

You bet!  Parkades have been doing it for years. Stalls are full?  5 cars leave, 5 more can enter. Wait in line meantime. 

Ergo....... FIVE permanent or temporal foreigners leave forever ........ deceased or back NOB (confirmed), FOUR wannabe's in line get to come in.  Why the numbers discrepancy.?...... in part makes up for with the ones who enter on tourist permits and disappear into woodwork, never to be officially seen or heard from again.    Easy peasy!  🤣🤣🤣

18 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

The Ocampo solution was discussed by authorities about 15 years ago. Nothing came of it.

But 15 years ago... 2007... there was not a traffic problem IMO.  Didn't get this way until about 4-5 years back.

Sending this many cars through on Ocampo would seem to be a nightmare.  Not that the current situation is not....

• Like 3