Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for the cheapest possible TelCel plan

I have a flip phone that I use on rare occasions to call someone locally or to call my wife about something when either of us are out.  I don't need to call the U.S., I can't use data and don't need it.  In total I probably use this phone 2-3 times per month.

Supposedly there are bare bones options in a case like this.  I'm finding it difficult to get those.  Could someone here who might be using their phone in a similar manner let me know what such a plan is called and the cost?

Gracias!

There is nothing available that is just phone.

If you only want to worry about re-charging it once a month then 200 pesos a month is the cheapest Amigo Plan. Just walk into an Oxxo every 30 days, give them your number and walk out. You will receive a sms text within two minutes of payment... and they will text you the day before it expires as well. Here is the link for ALL the Amigo packets... validity is the time it covers. Friend Telcel | Top up your Friend Balance now

Friend Without Limit 200
image.png.bf1bb0536d3d30461dfdf8a0b6c1f352.png
Includes 500 MB to browse the App
+1.5GB X Promotion
GB included
Mexico / USA / Canada*
Minutes and SMS Without Borders
Unlimited
Mexico / USA / Canada
Messaging Without Borders
Limitless
Mexico / USA / Canada
National Social Media
Mexico
Validity
30 days
Cost
$200

I think you can buy a scratch  off amigo card for about 100 pesos good for 60 days. Then you will have to buy another card as after 60 days it will be cut off. That is what we used to do with a flip phone but went to a telcel plan when we had to get a smart phone. It could be different now with the amigo card. Any little telcel store usually sells them or can enter your 100 pesos for service. 

I have the Amigo plan; add $100 lasts 60 days; gives you about 100 minutes of call time before you have to reload or 60 days whichever comes first.

You can add funds from telcel.com on your computer with a credit card; I use a US credit card.

I have the Amigo Por Segundo option - not a plan. I pay less than 1 peso per minute, charged by the second. I put $100 pesos on my number at Oxxo and it lasts 60 days. When you go to Oxxo you have to tell them it's a "Recarga Normal, no de Plan." Don't know if you can get anything cheaper than that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Out1 said:

I have the Amigo plan; add $100 lasts 60 days; gives you about 100 minutes of call time before you have to reload or 60 days whichever comes first.

You can add funds from telcel.com on your computer with a credit card; I use a US credit card.

1 hour ago, Frijoles said:

I have the Amigo Por Segundo option - not a plan. I pay less than 1 peso per minute, charged by the second. I put $100 pesos on my number at Oxxo and it lasts 60 days. When you go to Oxxo you have to tell them it's a "Recarga Normal, no de Plan." Don't know if you can get anything cheaper than that. 

That's what I'm looking for but when I went to Oxxo they didn't seem to understand what I wanted.  It really is all I need.  My wife has the plan with all the bells and whistles for her IPhone 11 and we use that when we travel anywhere.  We even use the wifi hot spot up north when we are traveling in our RV and it works great practically everywhere.

I'll try telling them this and see what happens.

Thanks to all for the responses!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Because I don't even think that option is available anymore. I also believe the scratch cards were phased out to stop people purchasing for cartel members if I remember correctly. 

We paid 100 pesos at Telcel in Centro Laguna the first part of November for a phone without wifi.  No contract, just bought Minutes.  We did this with my husband's phone for 5 years, always bought Minutes at Telcel.   We then, end of November, purchased a different phone and bought a monthly plan as we wanted cellular service. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ferret said:

I know but 26 days is kinda odd don't you think? I try and organize my time and actually planned the 30 days to coincide with my TotalPlay payment so I can pay both bills in one trip to Oxxo.

No need to go to Oxxo, Walmart, etc. to pay.  You can top up Telcel online directly through your mitelcel account. They accept  Mastercard and Visa.  

By the way they have had the 26 day program for years. 

Mainecoons, I have had the TelCel Amigo plan for the 11 yrs I have been here, since I use my flip phone very seldom as well. 

It still is a great rate for 100 p for 60 days.  If you don't use all your minutes (don't know how many you get), they  keep rolling over and do not expire.

I think you get to add three to five phone numbers to add to your plan of your most frequently used phone numbers (like calling your wife).  You can talk to these numbers for up to 5 minutes without being charged any minutes agains the plan.

I find this the best rate to go.  My wife uses the same and she SMS (texts) people all the time at no charge.   

I just go to Oxxo and top it off with another 100 p every 60 days. 

• Thanks 1

Well, that didn't work.  I went into Oxxo in Riberas next to the gas station, specifically asked to recarga Amigo por segundo and ended up with only 15 days of Amigo Sin Limite which is specifically what I don't want or need.

Am I going to have to get a new SIM chip to get rid of Amigo Sin Limite?

7 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Well, that didn't work.  I went into Oxxo in Riberas next to the gas station, specifically asked to recarga Amigo por segundo and ended up with only 15 days of Amigo Sin Limite which is specifically what I don't want or need.

Am I going to have to get a new SIM chip to get rid of Amigo Sin Limite?

At this time your SIM (phone number) is associated with a certain plan. Any deposit you make will be to that plan.  You need to visit Telcel in Laguna mall and change the plan associated with your phone number 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll try TelCel first but doubt my Spanish or hearing is good enough to sort this out there.  Is there a particular person I should look for who might be able to work with those limitations?

New chip is 50 pesos but I'd lose a whole bunch of accumulated minutes.  I only probably make or receive less than 4 calls per month, always brief.  I like the cheap and also only have to re-up every 2 months.

You all have been super helpful, thanks so much!