Chapala.com Webboard

Security cameras

bmh

I have several security cameras around my home in Ontario.  I can view them from anywhere - especially here in Lakeside - with my cell phone, laptop, or tablet.

They are set to send me a message when any movement takes place and the cameras will automatically record a video for later viewing. 

They also allow me to hear and speak over the camera with whoever is there... all from my cell phone, computer or tablet.

The system is easy to set up and works with a long lasting battery.  

The cameras are from Blink - an Amazon company and I am very, very pleased with it.  They are available on Amazon Mexico and I see that they may be available from Walmart too.  Links below:             

If you want to know more, send me a private/direct message.

Blink Cameras

Blink Cameras - Amazon Mexico

Cameras from Walmart

Search this forum for Eric Miramontes. He sells and installs many different kinds of security cameras that include an app for remote monitoring. My system is wired with images stored locally on a DVR device. A friend has a system that stores the images on the cloud. There are lots of options available.

• Thanks 1

I have 4 of these and they are accessed with the app smarthome (the Tuya) app works as well. That app also controls lights in the house and even my garage door opener. 

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-1302847226-camara-de-seguridad-tuya-smart-3mp-humaind-tracking-_JM?searchVariation=174199191490#searchVariation=174199191490&position=9&search_layout=stack&type=item&tracking_id=c1f2c39a-5d45-4a9f-af3c-edee9df45ce8

• Thanks 1

yes I do want to have an app I can use remotly. I am planning to give access to my neighbor and give him a camera so he can moniter the 2 properties when I am not in town .I will have the app. too.. SOunds like there are lots of options and good ones.. Thank you all I am going to check everything and see what works for me.

John my house is in CHiapas so I do not need a tec here.but thanks anyways.

Thumbs up on the Wyze cameras (available through Amazon US or MX). They have several types, indoor and outdoor, as well as a video doorbell. You ran connect and view up to 4 cameras from their smartphone app. The pan/tilt camera has a motor that will allow viewing a wide area and if it detects motion it will follow the person around the room. Smaller, less expensive units are stationary and must be positioned where they'll do the most good... some planning is in order. They have infrared, so can view in the dark, and include speaker/microphone so you can communicate through the app and listen as well as view what's happening (there is a bit of delay, so carrying on much of a conversation isn't great, but I assume this would be the case with other cameras as well). You can set the app to notify you if it detects an event... motion, change in light, sound, etc.  If you do this, BE SURE to exclude the Wyze app from your "Do not disturb" time so it will notify you ANY time there's an event, including night time when you might be asleep (a neighbor had a security camera that detected a break-in, but they didn't get notified because their phone was set to Do Not Disturb while they were sleeping). 

Observations:  We have cats which will trigger the motion sensor on certain occasions, but not others. You can adjust camera position and/or sensitivity to decrease such notifications. Also, any event triggered by a pet (or other event) that is common at your house can be reported to Wyze for analysis and adjustment in future updates. I do seem to receive fewer "false" notifications since I've sent several of these to the company.  Changes in light will trigger an event, so rainy season lightning storms are likely to notify you while sleeping. Likewise, if you have outdoor security lights that are visible to the camera, they may send a notification if the light(s) come on. The camera will also detect a light change from a shadow moving. This can be used to your advantage if properly setup, or it can be annoying if your lights are triggered by outdoor nocturnal wildlife... plan accordingly. I find it's helpful to leave a light on in the vicinity of the camera to minimize notifications from lightning and other changes in light. Everyone is concerned with internet download speeds, but keep in mind that security cameras need to UPLOAD video and audio in real time to be useful, so make sure you have a reasonable upload speed so you can view your data remotely... no good to get a notification if you can't view the video clip or check your cameras to follow up. Note that these comments aren't specific to just this brand of camera and should be considered with any brand that you look at.

Some of the features of the camera need to have a data card installed, and/or require a monthly fee to access videos remotely. The fee for Wyze is per camera, but seems reasonable (to me) for the peace of mind offered, especially since the cameras are pretty inexpensive to start with. Be sure to check the subscription fees before purchase to make sure you're aware of total cost for using them. Same applies to any other camera(s) you might consider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kiko said:

In my experience., the police do not accept video from security cameras.  So no investigation or arrests.  Most burglars know this.  YMMV

What police are you referring to?   Police in Mexico City and Guadalajara use video cameras for investigations.  It depends on the crime.  Most basic home break ins are not a priority here, or in most countries. However if the person is known to police they will certainly use the video/

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

What police are you referring to?   Police in Mexico City and Guadalajara use video cameras for investigations.  It depends on the crime.  Most basic home break ins are not a priority here, or in most countries. However if the person is known to police they will certainly use the video/

Maybe in Mexico City or Guadalajara there are investigations, but not with the Municipal Police in Jocotepec.  First hand experience with five neighbors when I lived in Jocotepec for 10 years.  Multiple burglaries and videos submitted to the police.  The Joco police recognized the burglar in the videos but did nothing.  They even knew where he lived on Calle Independencia in Joco.  They even knew that he had a criminal history for theft in the area for many years.  After receiving no help with the police, the residents of the fracc took matters in their own hands and one Sunday they managed to block the thief from leaving the fracc after another burglary.  This fracc has only one entrance.  They then called the police.  The police told the residents that they had to allow the burglar to leave the fracc because they were depriving him of his rights.  Eventually someone (guess who) put a hit on the guy and he was whacked.

It is not just Joco.  I was in the Ajijic police station once trying to resolve a problem when a local Mexican ran into the station and asked for help because he had just been carjacked on Hidalgo two blocks from the plaza.  Four officers were playing cards and they did nothing.  

Maybe things have changed.  I left that area 4 years ago.  

1229433916_jocoolice.thumb.jpg.a6df8d812384f8b81406a49773d3e048.jpg

when I got to Ajijic 21 years ago I bought a house that week in March so I went to the Telares on COlon to celebrate, I tried to pay with a credit card and was told cash only so I went to the bank to get the cash at Bancomer.. kittycorner from the bank.. No money at the bank they had just been robbed..in front of the police .. of course the siren was going and no police in sight. The robbers got on a pick up down Colon, but an old man was trying to park in front of the post office.. the pick up was honking its horn so the old man stalled and blocked the pick up.. The guys at the back jumped off on the street and proceeded to push his car clear accross the intersection and then took of.. FInally the police woke up and ran to help the bank.. 

A true story... went back to the restaurant told them the bank had no money and they told me to return the next day to pay them.. It was pretty relaxed in those days.

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2022 at 1:07 PM, Kiko said:

If you call the police when the thief is in your home and they find him in your home then they will take action.  After the fact, then no investigation unless you know someone in the minsterio publico office.   

There is a true story or a joke circulation amongst Mexican lawyers right now..

A man calls the police telling them that someone is in his yard and is armed and he asked them to arrive as soon as possible. They anser there is no patrol car near and cannot make it.

15 mn the same man calls the police to tell them that he killed the intruder and to please come.. The police arrives immediately and ask where the body is. The man says he did not kill anyone and the police says why did you say you killed someone? The man answers why did you say there was no patrol car available..... and the beat goes on..Viva Mexico.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 year later...
On 11/30/2022 at 9:06 AM, John Shrall said:

Search this forum for Eric Miramontes. He sells and installs many different kinds of security cameras that include an app for remote monitoring. My system is wired with images stored locally on a DVR device. A friend has a system that stores the images on the cloud. There are lots of options available.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:26 AM, John Shrall said:

Eric just came to my house for repairs and to install a larger hard drive in my DVR so he is still active. 

I use Whatsapp to contact him although it sometimes takes a little prodding to get a response and action. 33-1016-7480 

Thanks John