Chapala.com Webboard

Nancy P

Nancy P

Greetings All,  

My husband and I are relocating to the Chapala area 1st quarter 2023. We’re looking at rental availability now and it is scarce. Do things open up after winter say around April ? 

We are looking for:

12 mo rent

Nice quite neighborhood away from traffic (we will have a car) 

What area do you recommend ? 

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Nancy P said:

Please let us know if you find such an area at Lakeside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chapala Haciendas would be an area to consider.  Also Vista del Lago near the Chapala Golf & Country club.  San Nicolas and Santa Cruz are out that way too.  Riberas Del Pilar is a residential area between San Antonio Tlayacapan and Chapala that is centrally located and relatively quiet compared to the village proper.  Many people like living in west Ajijic, areas like Las Palmas, La Cristina, Las Fuentes although traffic getting into Ajijic can be quite heavy.  April to September is a more ideal time to look for a full time rentals.  Good luck to you and happy travels!

• Like 5

Look for places far away from churches, event centres, bars/cantinas, some businesses then you can find 'relatively' quiet but you will always have people yelling, working (with and without loud music), animals (birds, dogs, chickens, cats, donkeys, horses, cows), vehicle traffic/jake brakes. Some gated communities may be quieter but it would depend where they are located. Each area has it's own unique sounds, after eight years I notice when there isn't much noise (usually early on a Sunday morning or day after a festival). We spent several weeks walking around different neighborhoods at different times of the day to get a 'feel'. You also need to remember that what your 'normal' life is NOB is NOT what your 'normal' life will be here.  If you are a social butterfly and need your nightlife then Ajijic would be better where you didn't have to drive much or far to be social. 

Quiet is hit or miss. Earplugs are heaven sent when uninterrupted sleep is a requirement.  Noise travels up so the south side of the highway is generally better. Do not live near Eventos (rental party venues) or talleres (manufacturing such as iron workers). There are no rules or regulations preventing them from locating in residential areas. Having construction close to you is also a P.I.T.A. says I who endured three homes being constructed next to me in Riberas del Pilar. Two years of hell during the day caused by a bricklayer who was mostly deaf and played his music at a painful decibel level.

• Like 2

I know of a house my landlord's brother is in the process of buying that should fill most of your needs...... BUT it won't wait for an April possession. They're trying to have it ready to be available Jan 1 or soon after..... and it's for long term only   PM me for more info

1 hour ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Perhaps I should have said comparatively quiet by Mexican standards… Only Death brings perfect quiet…so maybe careful what you wish for…..

Perfect quiet after death?--you don't know that. . . .yet.  I'm assuming you're still with us.

Lexy

• Like 2

Also consider the house structure.  Old adobe house were relatively quiet compared to modern single brick walls.  Double pane windows are desirable.  You want your bedroom away from the front where the sidewalk is.  Nice quiet cul-de-sac homes are better than those on the Avenida.  Traffic tends to avoid cobble stone streets and prefer nice paved roads.

23 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

There are many nice , quiet,safe neighborhoods Lakeside….why make comments like this when you don’t even live here ?

Please see the post just after yours...

On 11/30/2022 at 6:09 AM, Nancy P said:

Greetings All,  

My husband and I are relocating to the Chapala area 1st quarter 2023. We’re looking at rental availability now and it is scarce. Do things open up after winter say around April ? 

We are looking for:

12 mo rent

Thank you 

Just wondering what areas you found on you previous visits Lakeside? If you plan to live here for 12 months, surely you have make at least 2-3 visits to check out the area. Once you settle in on a 12 month lease, you are "stuck", so do your "due diligence" beforehand, as this is not Kansas.

Suggest a month due dilligent trip to answer your questions...The two big deal killers IMO are traffic and noise... Jim Bowie is spot on... You need boots on the ground and time to discover your perfect location...

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Blanket  generalizations without personal specific knowledge tend to be useless……just because you are unaware of relatively quiet neighborhoods does not mean they don’t existed…several of our friends live in them…

...and the names are?  Quiet neighborhoods, not your friend's names.

• Thanks 1

Dostortas  mentioned several that would have been on my list….we live up the mountain in Las Salvias which does get some noise from the village …not enough to bother us ,as one moves west Rancho del Oro ,Villa Nova and so forth tend to become quieter .Friends of ours live in upper and lower Chula Vista as well as parts of east La floresta they also are happy with the noise levels…l could go one but I am a slow typer and have a busy life so….

• Like 3

I find, more and more, that people coming to Mexico (especially those where money is not a concern for them) expect to live a life very similar to what they experience where they are coming from. And, they are put off by people suggesting to them that they need to modify their expectations to fit in to the reality that is Mexico. Just my observations...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Hud said:

I find, more and more, that people coming to Mexico (especially those where money is not a concern for them) expect to live a life very similar to what they experience where they are coming from. And, they are put off by people suggesting to them that they need to modify their expectations to fit in to the reality that is Mexico. Just my observations...

Spot on.

• Like 1