Chapala.com Webboard

Stop the Loud, Frightening Noise

After a 2 year hiatis we returned to Ajijic... Things are much quieter than when we left...The loud music from the local events establishment is muted and only the tequila lubricated impresario’s voice rings through... 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 1:50 PM, shortstop said:

It is part of the Mexican culture & heritage. , if you don't like it, go elsewhere.  

That depends on the volume and frequency which is not the same today as maybe 10-20 years ago. Would you enjoy it every day ?

On 12/1/2022 at 5:00 PM, bournemouth said:

As nothing has been heard from the original poster, is it possible the person is a troll?

I just figured out who "Melody Hancock" is after reading this weeks' Guad Reporter "Letter to the Editor" p.10.......direct verbatim quote from part of that letter follows:

"....Noise.........Why are these noisy conditions not supervised by authorities? Set noise standards and enforce them.  Visitors, and those newly moving here, are not having any fun ( my reaction.... then why stay?)  and we can take our money elsewhere (my mental response---- PLEASE!  Do so!!) ............ We travellers talk to each other and this talk will turn off future visitors.............."     (Gee..... hasn't worked so far.........)

Are my suspicions right? Only the Shadow knows........

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hola, I lived in that neighborhood for 15 years and yes it is noisy.  But there are 2 types of noise- cohetes are only one.  Mexicans told me they cope by knowing it is only temporary and will end after the fiesta season, except for certain occasional private parties.  Things were much quieter the last 2 years because of the pandemic when few gringos were here, but things are opening up again.  I speak Spanish and a Mexican told me the cohetes were louder than in the past because they are actually making them smaller which means they don't fly as high into the air so they explode at a lower altitude which makes them seem louder.  It's mostly over for now, but yes, you have to either love it or leave, they cohetes are not going to stop.  They are a lot of fun for young men.

The other source of common noise problems is amplified music which has often gone on year around several nights a week, much worse than fireworks.  The event place on the corner you mentioned used to be very good about limiting their noise because they mostly hosted kids' parties which were over early.  Your neighborhood is /was situated between the two loudest bars in town, El Barco and at Plaza Bugambilia, whose noisy bar went out of business, thank god.  Due to concerted efforts to organize local MX residents, the situation at El Barco improved; long story about Plaza B which used to have a roof top bar featuring extremely loud noise until late at night  before the very loud gym blasting noise at 6:30 a.m. for a couple years. as well as   I'm talking 8-12 years ago.  But there also were party houses, etc. plus the carpenter shop nearby which nearly drove me crazy, I finally moved out of my great bargain house there for that reason.

The only solution is to organize your neighbors to complain to Chapala.  It is essential that you get MX neighbors on board, you need Spanish and a cheerful polite attitude to do that.  Buena suerte!