Chapala.com Webboard

Stop the Loud, Frightening Noise

I would like to file a formal complaint for loud noise at night and early in the morning. I did some research and found a federal law in Mexico that has a noise curfew that is in effect from 10:00 p.m. m. until 8:00 a.m. m. I live in 2nd Private Guadalupe Victoria. One street east of me is Alvarez. There is a community center at the corner of Guadalupe Victoria and Alverez. Loud music has been played there until 3:00 am. Aldama is one street west of me. Rockets go off many nights and early mornings, as well as loud music. I wrote a flyer that said: Stop the Rockets, God hears your prayers without them. They only scare families with children and it scares animals. God would not want any fear or harm to his beings on earth. Nothing was done. When I have personally gone to ask them to stop making noise, I have only found young Mexicans drinking and smoking marijuana. They laughed in my face. Could you send patrols to this area at night? I also write to the Catholic bishop. Los Cohetes is an old tradition that is upsetting both Mexican families and gringos. Thank you for your support and respect. Hancock Melody.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 3

It is a way of life here.  I have been living here since 2011, from Canada.  You get used to it eventually.  Never mind the noise curfew.  You will never stop them setting cohetes (sky rockets)  during the Ajijic fiesta, or festival.  This is life in Mexico.  If you can't deal with it, I suggest you move somewhere else.  I lived in Puerto Vallarta for a couple of years and never heard them there.  Apparently it is just in small villages in Mexico.  It will go on and off here from now until after Easter.  Then things should quiet down.

• Thanks 4

Melody I understand your pain, I also agree that the cohetes are one of the worst aspects of living in this area.  But they are not so ubiquitous in all parts of México.  But in this area sí.  Mexicans are very polite as Widesky pointed out and very gracious hosts to us foreigners.  But they don't appreciate foreigners coming to town to arrogantly try to change their culture and traditions.  Mexicans are a very proud people and don't take kindly to Norteamericanos or extranjeros mettling with their way of life.  It sounds like you live in Centro Ajijic.  If you detest the noise and confusion but still love México perhaps you might be better suited to living in a quieter area like one of the many fraccionamientos outside of the towns.

The choetes (Boom Booms) are nothing like they used to be 16yrs ago, back then they were twice as many for twice as long.  In my opinion they have been cut back because of the expense.

Expats who want to change Mexico to a place they come from like to use the excuse “Mexican families don’t like them either”   In 16 yrs I’ve never heard a local Mexican complain about them.  Sure they may nod their head while listening to expats  complain about the cobblestones, the loud music, the noisy celebrations, choetes and just about everything else here,  but in their mind are they really thinking “Why don’t you P off back to where you came from.. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

The choetes (Boom Booms) are nothing like they used to be 16yrs ago, back then they were twice as many for twice as long.  In my opinion they have been cut back because of the expense.

Expats who want to change Mexico to a place they come from like to use the excuse “Mexican families don’t like them either”   In 16 yrs I’ve never heard a local Mexican complain about them.  Sure they may nod their head while listening to expats  complain about the cobblestones, the loud music, the noisy celebrations, choetes and just about everything else here,  but in their mind are they really thinking “Why don’t you P off back to where you came from.. 

Last year in November and 3 or 4 years prior. I could pick up a dropped utensil from my kitchen floor, however this last week or so, this isn't possible because my dog is too freaked out from the booms to complete this simple task. I did not even have to bring up the cohetes to anyone, as I only need hear the local rumors. Are you not the person who said I should leave Mexico, when I agreed with you about wages paid by Walmart, yet you thought I was arguing due to your misread? 

Anyone who actually follows Mexican news knows there is a vigorous anti-noise movement in this country initiated and driven wholly by Mexicans who also don't find loud music at 3 AM acceptable.  In GDL and Zapopan many venues are being fined and/or closed for exactly what the OP brought up.  

Are these actions only by Mexicans who have no respect for their own culture or is that love of late night racket not nearly as "Mexican" as some expats seem to believe?  Is it possible it is more about a few profiting from the ill manners and thug behavior of a minority?

The Chapala government chooses to ignore and not enforce already enacted state noise laws.  That being the case, you may as well get used to it.  But let's stop pretending that only expats hate the racket and all Mexicans love it.  The awareness of the deleterious nature of late night noise is widespread in this country to the point that Mexicans are insisting on, and other Mexicans are carrying out crackdowns on it.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/jalisco-community-fights-noise-pollution/

https://yucatanmagazine.com/prominent-speakers-add-credence-to-anti-noise-campaign/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Many Mexicans complain about the cohetes but the church is powerful and they continue. They cut back  because of the money not because of compalints.. In the other town where I l also live, the weather is cold and the cohetes fall on my rood and breajk the roof tiles. Every year I have to pay for fixing the roof. I am seriously thnking of asking the church to payy for it.. but I do not think that will go very far. I will be told to leave town if I do not like it.. That is the way it is.

I think that the fact that Mexicans are making the changes is good, but I also think it needs to be their fight. When a policy is controversial, outsiders stepping in can make some people resentful. Best to stick with projects like graffiti clean-up and dog & cat spay-neuter programs that are widely popular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, NEWMtnMama said:

I think that the fact that Mexicans are making the changes is good, but I also think it needs to be their fight. When a policy is controversial, outsiders stepping in can make some people resentful. Best to stick with projects like graffiti clean-up and dog & cat spay-neuter programs that are widely popular.

Absolutely agree.