Chapala.com Webboard

breaking apartment lease

mexvq

A few years back I was living in Mexico City as a foreigner and signed a one year lease on an apartment.

I broke the lease early and left Mexico right after. I paid for 5 out of the 12 months and left after the 5th month. However, I’d like to return back for the holidays to visit friends, but curious if breaking an apartment lease could create any issues at immigration? 

I would assume no, but thought I’d ask.

Long story short, the landlord had a relative living in the building that had some mental health issues that were difficult to be in any sort of proximity of and basically made it hell for anyone to live around. This person also represented the landlord in collecting rent, maintenance, etc. The first day I moved in I was warned by my neighbor about this individuals behavior (that tenant moved out days later because of it).

When I decided to flea, having a convo with a mentally unstable person just wasn’t possible, yet the real landlord never made her direct contact info available to even explain things, so I just left. This was the worst rental experience of my life.

I did however, leave the landlord all the apartment furnishings (which was about $6k USD in value) as a gesture of good faith. The maintenance guy sent me a message to say that the landlord said thank you for the items, and that was it.

Anyway, it seems like I should be fine on my trip, but wanted to get some other perspectives.