Chapala.com Webboard

This is 100% true, and not hearsay as I saw the man last night.

Man drives from Canada to the Lorado Tx. crossing.

Man is waived through for entry w/o any stopping at all.

He arrives in Ajijic OK, but w/o and TIP for his car or tourist vise.He queries his daughter who is here from Canada, also a visitor. He wants to know what to do because someone told him he needed a TIP and tourist visa.

Attorney here contacted and attorney said if he was stopped by a cop, he was buggered.  Car would be impounded as contraband. Attorney said he had a case like this before, and it took literally months to resolve it. No paying a fine on the spot.

Anyone seen anything similar?

4 hours ago, Nikalos Telsa said:

He arrives in Ajijic OK, but w/o and TIP for his car or tourist vise.He queries his daughter who is here from Canada, also a visitor. He wants to know what to do because someone told him he needed a TIP and tourist visa.

Attorney here contacted and attorney said if he was stopped by a cop, he was buggered.  Car would be impounded as contraband. Attorney said he had a case like this before, and it took literally months to resolve it. No paying a fine on the spot.

yes

If someone is foolish enough to travel to a foreign country without knowing exactly what they need by way of a visa, what the country requires for pets traveling with them, and what permits are needed for the vehicle they're traveling in, they have no one to blame for what might and most likely will happen to them as a result.

Heaven knows there is a b#ttload of information out there, so they simply didn't take the time to read before setting off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nikalos Telsa said:

oh, I bet a guardia national officer would have accepted a healthy "offering".

I just returned from the US and was without any drivers license or tarjeta de circulacion ( both were lost on the way up ). I ended up paying 1200 to be on my way at a random check point. Got replacements for both when I returned lakeside. Mexico was playing in the world cup so hardly any wait at any of the local offices

For those who say to never pay a "bribe", to each his own, I chose the easy way to continue and was in no way interested in the legal fines and ramifications in Nuevo Laredo.

Luckily I didn't lose my permanente card !

Contrary to one, I think this topic is relevant because it reinforces how important it is to follow the rules ... and make sure you know them! That old stereotype of "ah, just pay a little mordida and all will be well" still permeates a lot of attitudes towards Mexico. A lot of folks get their first impressions from websites such as this one and then they come here. If there's any way a posting can help others from making a HUGE mistake, then why not? Many years ago, a lot of folks helped navigate us through some of the off-the-wall situations, so it's nice when we can help others. JMHO.

• Like 4

On 11/24/2022 at 6:46 PM, ea93105 said:

oh, I bet a guardia national officer would have accepted a healthy "offering".

I just returned from the US and was without any drivers license or tarjeta de circulacion ( both were lost on the way up ). I ended up paying 1200 to be on my way at a random check point. Got replacements for both when I returned lakeside. Mexico was playing in the world cup so hardly any wait at any of the local offices

For those who say to never pay a "bribe", to each his own, I chose the easy way to continue and was in no way interested in the legal fines and ramifications in Nuevo Laredo.

Luckily I didn't lose my permanente card !

Curious where this random checkpoint was.  I travel to the border 4-5 times a year driving both foreign plated and Mexican plated vehicles and have never been asked for an ID at a checkpoint on an autopista.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Curious where this random checkpoint was.  I travel to the border 4-5 times a year driving both foreign plated and Mexican plated vehicles and have never been asked for an ID at a checkpoint on an autopista.

After Columbia bridge you have to drive about 20 km before reaching the toll road. The check point was just before the toll roads. 3 National guard patrol cars were parked by the side of the road and I almost drove by when one of them flagged me over. Last year I was pulled over immediately after the immigration, but I had everything in order and wasn't guilty of any road infraction, so he let me go. They are always friendly at least

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 1:43 PM, Mostlylost said:

So it wasn't a checkpoint......., it was a patrol car stopping you for some reason. The Columbia crossing to the toll road is famous for shakedowns heading into Mexico. I have never used that route.

Checkpoint or point where they check, no I was not pulled over this time by a patrol car, and since I learned to drive in Guadalajara in 1976 I've never been" shaken down" which I interpret as being asked for money for no infraction. I have no hesitation driving daytime with all my papers in order, but both my license and tarjeta de circulacion required replacement here in Jalisco so I was stuck having to face the consequences on the way home. Glad I could pay on the spot to continue rather than deal with tickets and or worse in Nuevo Laredo. No "talking" out of not having a driver's license or circulation card without some sort of payout. Shit happens and I lost my sacrificial wallet with them inside.