Chapala.com Webboard

What is the *current* status on bringing a dog into Mexico.

I have a friend looking to come here. She is disabled using a wheelchair/walker, etc. and has a small service dog, not an "Emotional Support dog).

I'm going to guess that the customs person will tell her she needs this and that (She will get a Vet's health certificate showing vaccinations, etc.), and the dog must have an X days quarantine or some other bovine excrement and she must pay X USD, and she can pay it directly to him, etc.

Input appreciated.

As of 2019 a health certificate is not required... A current rabis certificate is required. Having crossed the border by vehicle with 2 dogs numerous times, we have never been asked for any paperwork...

Flying in is another matter... Best have your friend check on the web for official info...

That is good news about eliminating a health certificate, since it was a farce . When I drove down, I had to stop in Mission, TX to get one from a vet since at that time they required a valid health certificate within 72 hours of entry.  I was stopped at 3 Federale checkpoints.   I offered each time to show the health the certificate.  IT was never looked at. 

All the cared about was seeing the car permit (the TIP) each time and checked it against my VIN.     

On 11/21/2022 at 5:44 PM, Nikalos Telsa said:

I have a friend looking to come here. She is disabled using a wheelchair/walker, etc. and has a small service dog, not an "Emotional Support dog).

I'm going to guess that the customs person will tell her she needs this and that (She will get a Vet's health certificate showing vaccinations, etc.), and the dog must have an X days quarantine or some other bovine excrement and she must pay X USD, and she can pay it directly to him, etc.

Input appreciated.

I flew recently on Alaska Airlines with wheelchair and service dog. Alaska air requested a Department of Transport certificate for the dog which I easily acquired online. She rode with me in the aircraft. Not once did anyone request her health certificate nor vaccination schedule but I had them ready.

• 3 months later...

after 15 or more years going back and forth twice a year by car with dogs i was finally asked for dog papers on the 25th of dec. 2022 at the miguel aleman crossing into mexico. i showed them to the lady and she passed me thru and no one looked at the huge amount of stuff i was bringing in. 

• 2 weeks later...