Chapala.com Webboard

Will my phone with a Telcel sim work in Canada?

Frijoles

This last time that I went to Canada, my phone worked BUT I was told that "Roaming" had to be turned on. Just be prepared to use up your battery charge more quickly. Search google for how to turn the roaming on for your particular phone and model. I was pleased that the phone worked because the previous time, when I didn't know about roaming, it did not.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ferret said:

This last time that I went to Canada, my phone worked BUT I was told that "Roaming" had to be turned on. Just be prepared to use up your battery charge more quickly. Search google for how to turn the roaming on for your particular phone and model. I was pleased that the phone worked because the previous time, when I didn't know about roaming, it did not.

Interesting. Did you incur extra Roaming Fees?

I cancelled my Canadian and US cell phone plans and use Telcel exclusively across North America. Works flawlessly at a fraction of the cost. Just activate roaming, no extra charges. I use the amigo sin limites plan at 200 pesos / month, pay as needed.

If you want a local Canadian number: sign up on Fongo app for a free canadian phone number (sign up when in Canada, or abroad via a quality vpn service; once setup it works across the world to call and receive calls as though you were in Canada, including 800 numbers; I use it with my 2 Canadian banks too). Search this forum for details, it's been covered before. 

• Thanks 2

I go to the states three times per year for short visits (6 to 8 weeks per visit) I have a standard Telcel 200 peso per month plan, that I only thought worked in Mexico.

That is not quite true. As long as when I am up north and I'm only receiving calls from Mexico, I am not charged anything extra, nor is the person in Mexico making my local call from Mexico to my local Mexican number.

So far, I have not phoned Mexico from the USA using my Mexican Telcel phone because I would be charged more than I wish to pay per call. Rather I send an email to my lakeside friend asking them to call me from lakeside to phone my lakeside phone. And there is no extra charge

• 8 months later...

Hi there! I am on the telcel SINLIMITE plan and when I traveled to New York City last month, my kids and I had no issues using our plans and never ran out of data. We've been in Vancouver for three days and we've all run out of data! Does anyone know what might be the difference?

• 6 months later...
On 11/18/2022 at 8:38 AM, Dostortas said:

I use my Mexican cell phone all the time when I travel to the US and Canada.  Only one time did I go over my data limit and had to buy extra data, even then the expense was minimal.  Only obstacles I found was not having a local number to receive local calls and making calls to 800 numbers.  

May I ask if you still use this phone and how you "top up" (i.e., can you use an international credit card?).

Interesting on Pete's response.  We have the Amigo plan, 100 p per two month for use in MX. 

When we go to the States ( I THINK the  same is true for Canada-- other than using different country code prefix) and purchase a Sin Limite plan for our stay while there.   However, Sin Limite is unreliable and I would guess that only about 50% of the calls made go through.  This also allows you to call US numbers while there, and think the same would be true for being in Canada on Sin Limite.