Chapala.com Webboard

Home uv water system

elevator

I have been quoted $23,00 pesos for a new hone UV water filter filtration system. Seems high to me. Most I've seen on Amazon are in the $300-$400 range, although all are out of stock. The guy says this is a system that has a backwash capability and the filters do not have to be changed. Anyone have any comments?

7 hours ago, elevator said:

I have been quoted $23,00 pesos for a new hone UV water filter filtration system. Seems high to me. Most I've seen on Amazon are in the $300-$400 range, although all are out of stock. The guy says this is a system that has a backwash capability and the filters do not have to be changed. Anyone have any comments?

The UV and a filter are 2 different things. They can be installed at the same time. There are replaceable filter systems, and backwash systems. The backwash system is much more expensive, but no filter changes.  The UV light does need to be changed as per MFG's instructions. 

• Like 1

Ask for a breakdown of the cost of the components, and the labour.     And get 1 or 2 other quotes for comparable or for the regular filter type setup instead of the auto backwash ones.     Then you can best decide.    

• Like 2

I just finished installing a new UV treatment unit that I bought on Amazon USA.  It is a HQUA-TWS-12.  The price was very good especially considering that it came with spares of the two wear parts, the quartz glass sleeve and the UV lamp.  This unit is a designed much better than the Mass 8SS that is typically used in this area.  It also has a capacity of 12 gal per minute which matches the maximum output of my pump.  The new unit is much easier to maintain than the Mass, and replacement maintenance parts are available on Amazon USA.  I kept the old filter system.  I buy washable filters (a hose and good water pressure are needed) rather than work with a back flush system.  I like to inspect the filters and replace them when that is warranted.   That of course is just personal preference.

I have done quite a lot of plumbing over the years and for me the installation of the HQUA unit was fairly easy.  I wouldn't advise trying it if you are inexperienced.

I hope this is helpful.

This is an example of a filtration system with a UV light. One tank filters water using zeolite, the other is a water softener using salt from the tub on the right. Both backwash on a timer. There is also a carbon filter with an 8PM UV light. This setup is quite old but another I installed 8 years ago cost over $18,000 pesos just for parts. There are many options available, but I've seen this sort of setup a lot. 

Filtration.thumb.JPG.d4d1102669a1a02b10a1c40b88c94c5b.JPG