Chapala.com Webboard

OAXACA Visit

RickS

Hoping to finally get in a trip to Oaxaca City and surrounds in February.  Looking for any recommendations for hotels or casitas or ?  for our stay. We are generally 'budget' travelers, but not hostel level. And recommendation like 'be sure to stay in City Center' or 'don't stay in City Center because....'  would also be appreciated.

I think that we know/are aware of the many places/villages surrounding the City, but if there is somewhere you think is off the beaten path but that we may not know about and should surely not miss, please let me know.

TIA

RickS

THe city center deserves a few days.. then you have to decide if you want to take colectivos or tours to the surrounding villages to see the artesaania or visit the mezcal producers or take the route of the dominican convents etc.. There is a zillion thing to do in Oaxaca and the surrouning.. You also have a string of indigenous villages that have built cabins in the woods where you can stay and comute wit nature ,, they are called the malcomunados villages..  You can go in the sierra and visit the villege that grows silk worms and procuces beautiful woven items in silk and on and on.. It all depends on your interest and what you want to do.

• Like 3

I enjoyed Hotel Trebol.  Large very clean rooms.  My king bed was actually 2 queens together. Breakfast is included.  It is 1 block from main plaza & 2 blocks from the huge Mercado.  I would suggest 3 nights there to enjoy the city.  Some great restaurants on 2nd floor overlooking the plaza & church.

We visited a few months back, just before the Guelanguetza fiesta. We really liked the Hotel Posada del Centro, about two blocks off the plaza. Clean, inexpensive rooms, and a nice restaurant for breakfast (or anytime). I recommend the city center as it is very walkable, tons of things to see & do, and the easiest place to pick up tours. 

As dichosalocura said, Monte Alban is close, easy to shuttle bus to, and a must for history buffs. Just know that it involves a lot of walking up and down hills/stairs, if that is an issue for you. I insist you take the Me Encanta food tour with Betsaida! She'll take you to three different markets, eat/drink all the key local foods/drinks, and you'll be full for the day. Plus you get all kinds of local history/culture. We did side trips to Teotitlan to see weaving/rug-making (worth it for us, as we wanted to buy a rug) and Hierve el Agua (not worth it: too far to drive, and while scenic, it's still a bunch of pools). We used  Roberto's Oaxacan tours for private rides out, as well as airport transfers: he was excellent. If you go out to Teotilan (or beyond, to Mitla) stop for a meal at El Rey de Mezcal on the main road. It had some of the best food we had the whole trip.

Oaxaca City was named a top tourist destination by some magazine while we there, and that seemed right to us: very friendly locals, very safe, amazing food and drink, several different scenic/historic/cultural sites. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you did not say when you are going but if you are there on the 12th of December be sure to go and see the Danza de la Pluma in Teotitlan.. It atarts around noon on the plaza in front of the church and ends for the general public around 10 at night then they continue dancing until dawn in one of the homes of the danzantes. They are 22 danzantes and it is something to see. If you visit Teotitlan the town where mosts wool rugs are made  you are close to Mitla  where you can see the ruins . There are also many other villages around to visit.

They also have 2 candle makers that are worth a visit and some nice food. The local food is excellent so plan on having the comida there if you are goig to visit.

The church was built on top of an old zapotec temple and the whole center of town is an ancient village. Every time people remodel in the center they end up finding tombs and old carving which they place on the walls of the church ...