Chapala.com Webboard

BARRIO DE QUILMES ON THE PIER IN AJIJIC

Carnivore

We were there the other night with friends.  It was our first visit and, if it had not been for our recently returned "Snowbird" friends suggestion, we would likely have continued avoidance of the location.  We're well aware of prior sad attempts to establish an eatery on this questionable property and, the problems that always ensued. Lack of proper sanitation was always a primary prior issue.  I won't waste a lot time but our experience was  a complete disaster.  We were two couples.  Each couple ordered a vacio steak, medium rare, to share at the table.  Our friends ordered baked potato and salad to accompany their steak.  My wife and I ordered fries with our steak. Our steaks arrived. Ours was medium and our friends more to "well done".  Both steaks appeared to be "stewed" as opposed to grilled.  No charring at all and no seasoning. As our steak was closer to what we had ordered so we kept it but our fries were cold and not completely cooked (they had, obviously not been blanched).  Our fries were taken away to be replaced.  Our friends decided to return their steak but when it returned it was mostly gristle and totally unacceptable. They had, by then, already finished their potatoes and salad. While all this was going on our waiter seemed to be pretty obviously avoiding our table.  When the young lady who had first delivered our steaks returned to our table we asked if there was a manager present.  She indicated, by pointing, that a young man speaking with people at one of the tables overlooking the lake was the manager we suggested that we would like to speak with him.   We didn't see her speak with him but a few minutes later he passed by our table and my wife asked him if he was the manager.  He was pretty poorly dressed with a soiled t-shirt so she wasn't exactly sure.  He confirmed that he was the manager but said that he wasn't really working as he'd just come back from a 3 day holiday.  We explained the concerns about our meal and the lack of any coordinated service.  He apologized but again, emphasized that he wasn't really working and had just returned from being away.  He did speak with our waiter who seemed to totally agree that our table had legitimate problems.  The "manager" appeared to head into the kitchen area.  When he returned he informed us that he had made an adjustment to our our bill but.........then he made the following comment.  "The quality of our meat is exceptional and, far superior to what you would get at Tango and......we've never had problems before!"  

We never mentioned Tango......Why would he?

Oh yes, one other thing.  When our table was cleared and we were waiting for the check........a young lady arrived with a small plate of fries.  The fries that my wife and I never did receive! 

Barrio de Quilmes on the pier?  Our first time but........definitely our last!  Ajijic Tango is, in our long established opinion, far superior, consistent, impeccable service, well managed and great value.  

The "manager" made a serious mistake when he decided to mention "Tango".  

I am surprised by Ian's position on restaurant critiques as he probably knows more about restaurants than anyone on this board.  Critiques both good and bad are vital to the industry as not only is there an obligation to provide  a fair report on a restaurant but there is an obligation to provide the public with unfavorable views of the restaurant.  These reviews provide me valuable information about my eating choices.  While these reviews may cost the restaurant monies, it (might) encourage them to provide better service and food but best of all it may save me from a bad experience and waste of my eating monies.   

• Like 7

On 11/5/2022 at 8:30 PM, rafterbr said:

I am surprised by Ian's position on restaurant critiques as he probably knows more about restaurants than anyone on this board.  Critiques both good and bad are vital to the industry as not only is there an obligation to provide  a fair report on a restaurant but there is an obligation to provide the public with unfavorable views of the restaurant.  These reviews provide me valuable information about my eating choices.  While these reviews may cost the restaurant monies, it (might) encourage them to provide better service and food but best of all it may save me from a bad experience and waste of my eating monies.   

Absolutely agree.  Seeing both sides of the coin is the real value of restaurant review posts on this board.

Keep 'em coming!

• 2 weeks later...