Chapala.com Webboard

Soil type here

liquipure

16 hours ago, liquipure said:

I planted a few small bushes , Ixora. After 6 months, not blooming. Help says need alkaline soils and very sunny. I got the sun. Anyone know soil type in Ajijic?

1.  There is no such thing as ONE soil type in AJijic. We've had many types over 4 different gardens. (Yes.... I have a pH meter)  Apart from  pH it could be different in the next garden to yours.

2.  Be sure drainage is not an issue.. (read below).

3.  The following taken from Mr. Google.......

"...Ixora is used in.... well-draining, slightly acidic soil. In alkaline soil, the foliage can become chlorotic (yellow leaves with green veins).

If you think that light and soil conditions are adequate, you might water in a low-phosphorus fertilizer. (that means NOT 20-20-20)

And  sprinkle Epsom salts around the plants and water it in. This will help the ixora absorb necessary nutrients that encourage flowering. ......"

NOTE: Most  garden centres (and often hardware stores) carry Epsom salts  aka Magnesium Sulphate (Sufato de Magnesio). Works well and works fast. I get mine at the fertilizer store in Riberas across (more or less) from S & S.    Good luck

• Like 1

Ixora does not always do well here…it requires constant sunshine and moist non alkaline soil in order to bloom year round as it does in S Florida and at the coast here in Mexico. The temp should also never go below 60 f . But saying all that my neighbor here in las salvias  has a clump that seems to do well ..it does however get direct sun from dawn til dusk .

The soil in the area, as Natasha has stated, varies widely from lot to lot. Some lots were built up from fill of who knows what. In my case, the home was built 25 years prior to my purchase and there is a large avocado tree which can live to 400 years indicating some original soil base. I am accustomed to non-chemical living soil gardening.  However it seems the previous owners used mostly chemical inputs for fertilizers and pest/disease control.

We seeded alfalfa and applied organic matter & compost; started worm bins, applied compost tea; used soapy spray; coconut oil to fight pests and fungus. It took about 2 to 3 years to fully transition to living soil and now there are abundant earthworms, rolly-pollies and microorganisms in the soil. There is an increased population of predator insects like praying mantis. Plants appear healthier than previously. For further interest here is a link to an article I wrote some years back;  http://microbeorganics.com/#Living_Soil  

It can be difficult to evaluate soil pH. To do so accurately, one needs to mix a soil sample with distilled water and use pH strips or a good quality meter which is freshly calibrated. With living soil checking pH of soil is mostly unnecessary. My hydrangea plant tells me the soil where she lives is some acid; some alkaline with pink and bluish flowers.

• Thanks 2