Chapala.com Webboard

Visiting with young children, looking for activities and/or day camps

JasonT

My wife and I are spending a month of our parental leave visiting Chapala this winter, Dec 21 to Jan 18. We'll have our infant son and his 4 1/2 year old big brother.

Unfortunately big brother doesn't speak any Spanish but he loves playing with other kids so we're hoping we'll find some playgrounds, family friendly holiday festivals, play groups, or even some kind of day camp for a week or two. We have a lovely rental house on the lake not far from the Wal-Mart and we'll have a rental car. Already planning on some day trips to Guadalajara but we're hoping for some stuff that is closer to home. 

Also in the market for a trustworthy babysitter for the big kid for an occasional evening or afternoon so mom and I can take the baby out for a date.

Appreciate any tips you all can offer! Excited for our visit.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JasonT said:

My wife and I are spending a month of our parental leave visiting Chapala this winter, Dec 21 to Jan 18. We'll have our infant son and his 4 1/2 year old big brother.

Unfortunately big brother doesn't speak any Spanish but he loves playing with other kids so we're hoping we'll find some playgrounds, family friendly holiday festivals, play groups, or even some kind of day camp for a week or two. We have a lovely rental house on the lake not far from the Wal-Mart and we'll have a rental car. Already planning on some day trips to Guadalajara but we're hoping for some stuff that is closer to home. 

Also in the market for a trustworthy babysitter for the big kid for an occasional evening or afternoon so mom and I can take the baby out for a date.

Appreciate any tips you all can offer! Excited for our visit.

It strikes me that parental leave is of benefit to your children having your undivided attention as parents.

• Sad 2

Glad to see that nowhere in the internet is free of the welcome troll. It must be miserable to live out your retirement picking fights with internet strangers. 

Besides noting your spectacularly unhelpful and rude comment, I'll point out that we're looking for activities for the older child who's missing a month of kindergarten to get a chance to visit a foreign country. On the whole that will be good for him but he will be much happier if we can find other kids for him to play with. And the majority of what I asked for was activities we can do as a family. 

Enjoy the rest of your evening under the bridge. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Tip #1: it appears from your comments that you basically know nothing about Lakeside and it would certainly benefit you and the missus to rectify that before you come here. That way you can try making alternate plans.

Tip #2: It appears "money" is not a concern for you guys, so you should fit in nicely with a few locals, one being the "troll" you just put down. 

Bienvenidos !!! :D

Goodness, what a hostile group you have here.

I thank the two kind people who gave me some pointers on activities via private message, and am sad for your group that the environment is so toxic that they both noted not feeling comfortable replying to me publicly. I have turned off replies and will not be returning to this place.

You all enjoy your retirement.

• Sad 1

There’s some facebook groups that could most likely provide you with some helpful information.  I think there’s one called Lake Chapala Kids, maybe try Mujeres del Lago group, also Gringos Ajijic Lakeside.  There’s a lot more young expat families here in the last 5 years or so and they’ve created their own little network of resources, I think Facebook would be a good channel to connect with them. Happy travels to you and your family. 

4 minutes ago, Dostortas said:

There’s some facebook groups that could most likely provide you with some helpful information.  I think there’s one called Lake Chapala Kids, maybe try Mujeres del Lago group, also Gringos Ajijic Lakeside.  There’s a lot more young expat families here in the last 5 years or so and they’ve created their own little network of resources, I think Facebook would be a good channel to connect with them. Happy travels to you and your family. 

You must not have read the most recent reply from JasonT.  He will not be returning to this site because of how he was treated.  Another casualty of a few rude/mean/inconsiderate people on this site.  

• Sad 1