Chapala.com Webboard

Auto Buying Service

rvanparys

I am looking for a quality used car... S&S from whom I have purchased three cars in the past, is surveying the market. They do not however look for cars outside of Jalisco... Unfortunately, the cars I am looking for are available in other states. I would appreciate any recommendations on services others have successfully used that can produce a Jalisco registered auto... 

None that I know of.  S&S prefers to deal only with new car sales from dealers in Guad.  Good used cars are very difficult to find these days - demand is high.

Can you get yourself to Guad dealerships that sell the brand you like?  They are reliable source for used cars, and will stand by a warranty for a limited period.  That said,  all new dealerships usually have brands from different makers......so combining a trip to a few might be a good idea.   Also know an honest Mexican friend who sometimes helps people find cars......wears more than one hat.  IF you want, send me a p.m. and I'll get you two in touch,

On 10/15/2022 at 11:11 AM, rvanparys said:

the cars I am looking for are available in other states.

Do you mind saying where? Because it's a crummy time to be buying a car anywhere in Mexico, new or used, as far as I can tell. Total seller's market, and the sellers know it. Thanks.

LQ

1 hour ago, rvanparys said:

Better selection in Mexico city for the make and model I am looking for....

You might not think so when you go thru the horrendous and expensive process required to put Jalisco plates on it.  Been there..... car is fine, but still wish we had not done that.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 12:55 PM, Ezzie said:

S&S prefers to deal only with new car sales from dealers in Guad.

An update on conditions for S&S, because they're helping me now.

• Used car prices have risen enough for late models that the price difference vs. new is probably not worth the risk of unknowns. There's no Mexican Carfax.
  • The dealers S&S does business with can sell their own limited stock with no problem. They consider S&S too small-time, under the circumstances.
  • Those same dealers are refusing cash from direct customers and requiring financing. They hold all the cards.
  • Guadalajara dealers have suggested to S&S that, since no commissions will be coming their way, S&S might charge its own fee-for-service. Tentatively and with regret, S&S is considering a fee of $10k MXN.
  • Mazda is still treating them well, but that could change, and lead times of 45+ days are expected.
  • They are hopeful that a Suzuki dealer north of Guadalajara (I'm shopping for a Suzuki Sport, or perhaps a Mazda3 Hatch) might be more agreeable, but who can say.

The manufacturer pipeline is still depleted, so it's tough times for S&S. Won't last forever.

LQ

13 hours ago, rvanparys said:

I understand but that is why I hire people to handle this stuff for me...

And so did we..... but the cost was considerable over and above the price of the vehicle, and there was a long wait list  at that time ( each vehicle takes MANY hours in the ONLY location in Guad where these inspections are done) because they check every single part in the entire car with a VIN number). Yes we used a service for this. No we wouldn't do it again. To each their own.........